Establishment of Ward Committees in the George Municipal Area
George Municipality is will start this week with information sessions to inform communities on the establishment and composition of Ward Committees.
The Local Government: Municipal Structures Act, 1998, makes provision for the establishment of Ward Committees as a means to encourage community participation in municipal matters. A Ward Committee is an area-based committee whose boundaries coincide with the ward boundaries.
Ward Committees are the link between the Councillor and the community. Ward Committees raise issues about the ward to the Ward Councillor. They have a say (on behalf of the community) in decisions, planning, projects, Integrated Development Planning, performance management and allocation of funds that Council may decide on that will affect the Ward. They also play an important role in informing municipal performance management and budgeting.
- The role of a Ward Committee Member is to be an active participant in the ward committee;
- Assist the Ward Councillor to inform the community about their rights and entitlements;
- Work as a team and speak with one voice;
- Assist the Ward Councillor with grievances and complaints from the community;
- Show leadership in starting projects which will improve the lives of people in the ward;
- Compile a ward profile so that the committee knows more about the ward;
- Assist the Ward Councillor to consult with the people who have a stake in a particular issue,
And work with partners in the community to benefit the ward committee’s work;
- Be involved in community events. This is very important as it shows you care about the community and understand community issues.
Further roles of the Ward Committee Member in Communities:
- Actively participate in the affairs of the Municipality, move from passive to active citizenry;
- Report all service delivery issues to the Ward Councillor and municipality;
- To understand that their democratic right comes with responsibilities;
- Actively attend and participate in municipal public meetings e.g. IDP and Ward Councillor report back meetings etc.
The Community of George is hereby invited to attend information sessions about the establishment and composition of ward committees for George. The first Information Session will take place this week on the 28th and 29th of September 2016. On 28th of September a meeting will be held at the Rosemoore Civic Centre at 18:00 and another meeting at the Docks Mission Church Hall at 18:00 in Protea Park.
On the 29th of September 2016 a meeting will be held at 18:00 at the Heather Park-Witfontein Victory Christian Centre. At the same time a meeting will be held at Blanco Community Hall for the community of Die Rus, Golden Valley, Bo-Pits and Riverlea.
Please note that a meeting programme will be advertised this week and can be located on www.gov.za. A number of the meetings for the rest of the wards will coincide with the programme schedule of the IDP/Budget feedback meetings.
Oxigen has signed a sponsorship deal with...
Diligence on the part of Alexandria Detectives resulted in the interception and arrest of a man transporting stolen goods from Kenton on Sea to Port Elizabeth over the weekend. According to local police, on Sunday, at about 10:30, Sergeant Sunet Bakkes...
King William’s Town police are requesting community assistance...
The Pink Ladies, a non-profit organisation, which assists...
South Africa has estimated a R350 billion annual...
South African motorists can expect another fuel price...
The Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature Portfolio Committee...
Houghton is definitely La Belle Dame of Johannesburg...
Sunday’s Eastern Cape Swim Series at Marina Martinique...
The Butterworth Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual...
- 18-year-old male drowns in PE spear fishing tragedy
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- One of Port Elizabeth's most wanted gangsters expected in court after weekend arrest
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Two killed, one wounded in Bloemendal weekend shooting