EXCO Outreach launched in Nelson Mandela Bay

BY CHARL BOSCH - NOVEMBER 26, 2014

Eastern Cape Premier, Phumulo Masualle, officially kicked-off his two day Executive Council Outreach (EXCO) programme in Nelson Mandela Bay on Wednesday, with the aim of identifying and discussing challenges facing the metro.

With the event also forming part of National Government’s 16 Days of No Violence against Woman and Child campaign, Masaulle and members of the province’s Executive council, which amongst others included the MEC’s for Rural Development and Agrarian Reform, Mlibo Qoboshiyane; Human Settlements, Helen Sauls-August; Social Development, Nancy Sihlwayi; Transport, Weziwe Tikana; Sports, Arts and Culture, Penny Majodina; Health, Pumza Dyantyi, as well Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor Ben Fihla and members of his executive, visited communities throughout metro who had been effected by gender based violence (GBV).

Speaking on behalf of the Premier, Deputy Director General in the Office of the Premier, Mahlubandile Qwase, said that around 12 households had been identified by local ward committee members and councillors as being exposed to cases of GBV.

“The approach used was to visit households which had people effected by rape, abuse of children and gender violence before sending out a multi-departmental team to determine the type of challenges faced, and then come back and look at what kind of interventions needed to be made, “ Qwase said.

He added that a total of 10 areas in the Metro, ranging from Zwide and Helenvale to as far Uitenhage and Despatch, would be visited by teams consisting out of members of the Executive, Mayoral Committee and officials so as to “exchange in dialogue and get a sense of the challenges faced by communities”.

The EXCO is expected to wrap-up Thursday afternoon before moving to East London, where it will conclude on Friday.