Extremely uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
The SA Weather Services has advised residents of extremely uncomfortable conditions expected across the province.
"With temperatures already hovering around 30C and relatively high humidity’s, the Discomfort Levels have risen to the Extremely Uncomfortable Level, over most of the Easter Cape region.
"This includes all areas From Joubertina to the Kei River," described Garth Sampson, Client Liaison Officer at the SA Weather Services Eastern Cape branch.
He said that by 11 am the following temperatures were recorded:
Patensie 29 C
Port Elizabeth 30C
East London 27C
Graaf Reinet 34C
Ft Beaufort 33C
Somerset East 33C
"Conditions are only expected to start cooling after 5pm today," he said.
"Listen to the radio for the latest warnings for your area."
Below is a description of the conditions and precautions to be taken
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
The South African Weather Services on Tuesday morning said that extreme heat, high levels of discomfort and veld fire...
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Buffalo...
Two municipal ward by-elections will take place in the Eastern...
Police in Kirkwood on Monday appealed to local...
Over the past weekend, police in the King William’s Town...
Several successful operations were conducted over...
Port Elizabeth-born and raised amputee, Shaun Bakker will...
Agri Eastern Cape has called on drought-hit farmers to...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
- Tragedy averted as father and son rescued in Port Elizabeth
- Traffic advisory - Controlled blasting on the N2 between Dutywa and Mthatha
- DA condemns waste of municipal funds by Buffalo City Metro
- Teenagers - Venter and De Jager, win maiden SPAR River Mile titles
- Eastern Cape farmers brace for new national minimum wage