Festivities await during Sanlam Cape Town marathon this weekend
With another year of preparation and hard work behind them, the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon organisers are ready to celebrate the second edition of the relaunched race, and there are festivities, events and entertainment on offer for everyone at the annual weekend festival taking place from this Friday to Sunday.
Centred around Africa's only Silver Label road race, the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon is geared up to host a record field of runners and visitors, and organisers have ensured that spectators and local residents will be able to join in the festivities.
One of the key focus points for this year's race is the tremendous spectator value on offer, with marathon weekend expected to bring the Mother City to a halt.
Race ambassador Elana Meyer says: "One of the best features of the races in the IAAF Marathon Majors series is the tremendous support from local residents, as well as friends and family of those taking part in those events.
The marathons in New York, London, Boston and others involve the communities in their respective cities, and we're hoping to achieve the same impact here. We call on all Capetonians and visitors to the city to join us in celebration of elite sport and healthy living."
Free Sanlam Spectator Buses will be available for spectators who would like to follow the race, hopping on and off while experiencing the emotional battle faced by the runners.
Spectator bus zones:
- Sanlam halfway spectator zone - Rondebosch Common, opposite Red Cross Children's Hospital
- Vital Health Foods Mile of Hope - Government Avenue
- Sanlam Prestwich Museum spectator zone
- Sanlam Peace Mile at Sea Point pool and along promenade
- Finish Area at Green Point A Track
The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Expo, to be held at The Lookout at V&A Waterfront (Grainger Bay Parking Area) on 18 and 19 September, offers a variety of food and drink stalls in a market-like atmosphere, as well as festivities to keep people of all ages entertained.
Features of the Expo include:
- Exhibitions and activations
- Race registration, number and goodie bag collection
- Event shop
- Massage zone
- Mitchell's Beer and entertainment
- Late entries for both the Sanlam Cape Town 10km PEACE run and fun run will be taken (all day on Friday and until 2pm on Saturday for the 10km)
The marathon Finish, at Green Point A Track, promises to be equally festive. Features of the Finish area, which incorporates the primary support zone, include:
- Stadium seating for spectators
- Partner, Charity & Club gazebos
- Live commentary and big screen TV (with live streams from the race itself from 06:30-12 noon)
- Food and refreshment vendors
- Mitchells Brewery
- Coke zone
- Vital Massage and Strapping Zone
- Sanlam VIP Hospitality
- Tog bag facility
- Entertainment and music
- Fancy dress prizes
- Full Mediclinic Medical Tent
- Free MyCiti bus transport to/from Civic o Great place to meet at the end of the race
- Close proximity to Green Point urban park and Waterfront
There are multiple other points of interest for spectators and runners along the route:
- Tsogo Sun Newlands Best Dressed Red Carpet - Main Road Newlands
- District Six - just below CPUT
- City Activation on the Grand Parade Cape Town
- Community Chest Bree Street Takeover - Bree Street Cape Town
- Over 30 activations & music stations, including bands and DJ's
- Cape carnival artists in Bree Street
For those who are unable to join in the weekend festival, there is the additional opportunity to experience the event on live SABC broadcasts. Festivities at the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon Expo will be broadcast live for two hour on Saturday,
19 September from 10h00 to 12h00, and marathon race day will be televised live from 06h30 to 12h00 on Sunday, 20 September. The race will also be showcased live on the race website www.sanlamcapetownmarathon.com
CAPTION: Winner of main event at Sanlam Cape Town Marathon in 2014
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Friday said that it would table a Motion of No Confidence against Walter Sisulu Local...
Almost half of all phishing attacks (fraudulent email messages...
Key executives from Grant Thornton South Africa provide commentary...
The finance minister, Mr Gordhan, delivered a budget speech...
Queens College last Saturday won the Queenstown Under-17 Sevens...
That innovation is important and necessary for survival...
A 45-year-old man from Butterworth is expected in court on...
Following his rampant 50 with the bat off just...
Port Elizabeth-based sustainability specialists...
A 25-year-old man from Butterworth, Bongani Makhosi, escapes...
- Nelson Mandela Bay Metro clamping down on municipal fleet abuse to cut costs
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- Mourners robbed at cemetery - Port Elizabeth police urge public to be vigilant
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop
- DA applauds Metro for allocating land for additional police station in Northern Areas