First aid boxes in the workplace
One of the common-law duties of an employer is a safe working environment.
Regulation 3 (1) ; (2) and (3) of the General Safety Regulations to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993) prescribes requirements concerning first aid boxes.
In summary the following must be noted:
Where an employer employs more than 5 employers, a first aid box is to be provided.
The first aid box is to be placed near to the employees workplace and be available and accessible to ensure adequate treatment of injured employees.
The employer has a discretion in determining the number of first aid boxes, however in exercising that discretion, the following is to be taken into account:
- the type of injuries that are likely to occur at a workplace,
- the nature of the activities performed and
- the number of employees employed at the wotkplace.
The following list is the minimum contents of a First Aid Box as per the regulations:
In the case of shops and offices, the quantities stated under items 1, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 18 may be reduced by half.
Wound cleaner / antiseptic (100ml)
Swabs for cleaning wounds
Cotton wool for padding (100g)
Sterile gauze (minimum quantity 10)
1 pair of forceps (for splinters)
1 pair of scissors (minimum size 100mm)
1 set of safety pins
4 triangular bandages
4 roller bandages (75mm x 5m)
4 roller bandages (100mm x 5m)
1 roll of elastic adhesive (25mm x 3m)
1 Non-allergenic adhesive strip (25mm x 3m)
1 Packet of adhesive dressing strips (minimum quantity 10 assorted sizes)
4 First aid dressing (75mm x 100mm)
4 First aid dressings (150mm x 200mm)
2 Straight splints
2 Pairs large and 2 pairs medium disposable latex gloves
2 CPR mouth pieces or similar devices
More than 30 final year students whose hopes of finishing their academic journey were dashed by a lack of funds shared their excitement at being the recipients of Nelson Mandela ...
With the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Council's...
African Drumbeat did Interactive Drumming & Zulu...
Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism, in partnership with...
The FNB NMMU-Madibaz will be determined to...
The Emalahleni Local Municipality on Wednesday held a...
Southern Kings pivot, Lionel Cronje, who has been vice-captain...
Chippa United Captain, Thamsanqa Sangweni, has emphasized that Head...
Police in Uitenhage on Thursday commended the lengthy...
- Seven injured after elevator plunges to the ground at Mount Road police station
- Man who raped girl at Dora Nginza Hospital expected to apply for bail
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7
- Prosecutors deciding on case of woman who killed brother she alleges raped her for years
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate three containers from Nigeria