First Initiate Death Reported in Eastern Cape
A 19-year-old youth died, apparently during initiation rituals in the Eastern Cape, the Provincial Department of Local Government and Traditional Affairs said on Thursday.
“A 19-year-old initiate has died in Burgersdorp and details are still sketchy at this stage,” spokesman Mamnkeli Ngam said in a statement.
He said that the department was waiting for more details and the post-mortem report from the Eastern Cape Department of Health.
Ngam said that the department’s monitoring teams had visited around 500 initiates so far, with most found to be in good condition.
In Nyandeni and Flagstaff, however, 44 initiates were rescued.
No arrests, amputations and hospital admissions have been reported by the monitoring teams so far.
“Some of the challenges include some traditional nurses refusing initiates drinking water, underage initiates, illegal schools, refusal in some areas like Nyandeni to refer initiates to places of safety hence support of the SAPS had to be requested.”
Warning about deaths
In November, Bhisho warned that it is considering cutting the salaries of traditional leaders if initiates they do not help curb the number of deaths from botched circumcisions.
"I am researching how much power I have [in terms of] enforcing and implementing the idea [of cutting salaries]," Eastern Cape Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC, Fikile Xasa, reportedly said at the official start of the summer circumcision season at Nyandeni Great Place, near Libode.
"The government cannot fold its hands while future leaders and innocent souls are dying.
"Although we do not want to impose ourselves as the government, we cannot wait for an invitation to intervene."
43 dead in 2013
43 initiates died in the Eastern Cape during last year’s summer circumcision season - up from 25 in 2012.
Since 2006, 426 000 boys have undergone the traditional rite. Of these 5 586 initiates were hospitalised, 532 died and 233 were so mutilated that penile amputations were necessary.
To date, 257 traditional circumcision practitioners have been arrested.
More than 40 000 boys are expected to be ritually circumcised during this circumcision period.
Water supply to a large part of Nelson Mandela Bay will be...
A 33 year-old man is expected in court on Thursday after he...
Last year, we were only able to find seven franchises...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive Mayor, Athol...
There is a heavy police presence at the National Assembly...
Stormers and Springboks lock-forward...
National Treasury on Wednesday announced the launch...
Police in Willowvale have appealed to the public for...
Just under 62% of people in Nelson Mandela Bay own...
Bloemfontein Celtic managed to succumb to a goalless 0-0...
- 'Classes' again suspended at NMMU, hints on mediation making headway
- TRUMPED! A home owner can be evicted as an unlawful occupier
- Man in mystery Pine Lodge murder to appear in court again today
- Panayiotou trial day 10 – Defence claims state ambushed them
- Police and Rhodes students fight running battles in Grahamstown