Forensic Results Delaying 3019 Eastern Cape Drunken Driving Cases

SEPTEMBER 2, 2014

Police Minister Nathi Nhleko says that a total of 3 019 drunken driving cases are still pending in the Eastern Cape as a result of the “delays in forensic results”.

Replying to a written question from Elsa van Lingen (DA) in the National Council of Provinces, the Minister said that 642 cases were still pending from the 2010/11 financial year; 539 from 2011/12 and 734 from 2012/13.

A further 1 104 cases between January 1 and July 31 this year were also being delayed as forensic results had not been finalised.

Nhleko explained that there was a delay with the analysis of blood samples at the laboratory of the Department of Health in Cape Town which had been caused by “huge backlogs that accumulated over a few years”.

The Minister said the Divisional Commissioner for the Detective Service had, through the Development Committee of the Criminal Justice Review System, engaged the National Department of Health.

A sub-committee had been established and “agreements have been reached on processes to prioritise and fast track the analysis of blood samples.

“This is a medium to long term initiative, which is dependent on physical and human resources as well as budget allocated to the Department of Health.”

The Minister said that all the 3 019 cases had been provisionally withdrawn, but were “put back on the court roll upon receipt of the blood alcohol analysis reports”. - MetroMinutes.

 

Photo courtesy of www.globster.com