Fraud and corruption charges laid against Metro safety and security boss

BY CHARL BOSCH - JUNE 30, 2016

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay officially laid three counts of fraud and two of corruption against embattled Safety and Security Head, Linda Mti, at the Uitenhage Police Station on Thursday morning.

This follows after the party obtained a Special Investigation Unit (SIU) document earlier this month, which showed that Mti benefitted from a contract awarded by Bosasa Management in 2009, with the funds allegedly being used to build him a lavish mansion in Midrand as well as the purchase of a brand new Volkswagen Touareg SUV.

The 95-page report was allegedly handed over to then Correctional Service Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula two year later, with no subsequent action being taken. The findings revealed that “improper and corrupt” activities took place between department officials and Bosasa, whose CEO, Gavin Watson, had reported links with the African National Congress (ANC).

Mti, who served as commissioner for the Department of Correctional Services at the time, was controversially appointed to the position of Safety and Security Head by Executive Mayor Danny Jordaan in April, despite also facing charges of drink driving for an accident in 2005.

“The ANC has once again shown its commitment to keeping corruption in the Bay by forging ahead with this controversial and inappropriate appointment,” DA provincial leader and Metro mayoral candidate Athol Trollip said.

“We studied the SIU report and taken extensive legal advice on the matter. We have today presented the South African Police Service with the SIU report and a 12-page charge sheet drawn up by our legal team, outlining, with substantive evidence fraud and corruption against Linda Mti”.

Flanked by the party’s Chief Whip John Steenhuisen, and Winterhoek Constituency Leader Marshall von Buchenroder, Trollip said he had received a letter from National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Head Shaun Abrahams that the investigation into Mti’s appointment was still ongoing, and that no action could be taken against him until the inquiry had been finalised.

According to the letter, of which RNEWS has a copy, Abrahams said a “administrative error” in his office had resulted in him being unable to respond to a letter send by Trollip a month after Mti’s appointment, and that he had “prioritise this matter in [the] Special Commercial Crime Unit and [would be] monitoring its progress closely”.

“Not a single Nelson Mandela Bay official implicated in corruption has been charged, or gone to jail, as the ANC predictably continues to protect fraudsters at the expense of service delivery and jobs,” Trollip said.

“We urge the South African Police Service and the Hawks to conclude their investigation, and to officially lay these recommended charges against Linda Mti so that prosecution can commence without delay”.

In an interview with Eyewitness News on Wednesday, Jordaan said Mti’s qualifications, which includes a Master’s Degree and head of security for the 2010 FIFA World Cup “by far makes him the best qualified [candidate for the position]”.

“He went through an interview process and everybody agreed he was the best. He was approved by council… not by me… it was a resolution by council. We are clear this man has the merit to handle this portfolio,” Jordaan said.

“If you are saying any person in this country has an allegation against him or her‚ they must just go to jail‚ that is an apartheid constructed justice. That is not what this country is all about. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty”.

 

CAPTION: Detective Warrant Officer, Peter Chant, DA Mayoral Candidate for Nelson Mandela Bay, Athol Trollip, DA Chief Whip in Parliament, John Steenhuisen and DA Winterhoek Constituency Leader, Marshall von Buchenroder, discuss the charges and contents of the SIU report. IMAGE supplied