Full report: uncomfortable weather conditions currently over Eastern Cape
Update - 12:07pm: The wind direction in Port Elizabeth has once again changed and increased the temperature to 37C, with a Discomfort Level of 107 EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. It is approaching the HAZARDOUS TO HEALTH LEVEL. In certain areas of the metro it is highly likely that this level has been reached. It is advisable to cancel all school sports and cease strenuous outdoor activity. We will update you regularly.
The South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Thursday morning warned of 'uncomfortable' weather conditions being experienced in parts of the province.
"Most of the Eastern Cape is experiencing a Discomfort level in the VERY UNCOMFORTABLE level (above 90), with some areas are experiencing EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE levels - above 100," described Garth Sampson, Client Liaison Officer at SA Weather Services Eastern Cape.
"Many areas along the Garden Route, such as Plettenberg bay, George and Mossel Bay are in the EXTEMELY UNCOMFORTABLE LEVEL (above 100).
"The adjacent interior in areas such as Uitenhage and Addo are also at the EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE LEVEL (above 100)."
According to Sampson, at this level School’s sport and hard labour should be stopped.
"Although a shift in wind direction has dropped temperatures at the Port Elizabeth Airport, many of the outlying areas could still be experiencing high discomfort levels.
"Conditions are only expected to reduce noticeably after 5 pm," he said.
He urged residents to listen to the radio for the latest on these conditions.
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
SEO or Search Engine Optimisation is the process of using...
The past year was one that Madibaz football captain Cloudius...
At the initiative of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Executive...
The Southern Kings, after a three-week tour to Australia...
Drought and hot, dry weather effects our gardens...
The humble hamburger is quite the chief of...
A 33-year-old house robbery suspect was arrested just hours...
While many may have pleasant memories of the...
“Maximizing your Potential,” was the theme and...
The Save South Africa campaign, which recently organised...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Three nabbed just 25 minutes after allegedly robbing Port Elizabeth shop
- Panayiotou murder trial – Kanna Swanepoel finally appears on the stand
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Proposed Ebuhlanti entrance fee will kill our businesses: Hawkers