Full report: uncomfortable weather conditions currently over Eastern Cape
Update - 12:07pm: The wind direction in Port Elizabeth has once again changed and increased the temperature to 37C, with a Discomfort Level of 107 EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. It is approaching the HAZARDOUS TO HEALTH LEVEL. In certain areas of the metro it is highly likely that this level has been reached. It is advisable to cancel all school sports and cease strenuous outdoor activity. We will update you regularly.
The South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Thursday morning warned of 'uncomfortable' weather conditions being experienced in parts of the province.
"Most of the Eastern Cape is experiencing a Discomfort level in the VERY UNCOMFORTABLE level (above 90), with some areas are experiencing EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE levels - above 100," described Garth Sampson, Client Liaison Officer at SA Weather Services Eastern Cape.
"Many areas along the Garden Route, such as Plettenberg bay, George and Mossel Bay are in the EXTEMELY UNCOMFORTABLE LEVEL (above 100).
"The adjacent interior in areas such as Uitenhage and Addo are also at the EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE LEVEL (above 100)."
According to Sampson, at this level School’s sport and hard labour should be stopped.
"Although a shift in wind direction has dropped temperatures at the Port Elizabeth Airport, many of the outlying areas could still be experiencing high discomfort levels.
"Conditions are only expected to reduce noticeably after 5 pm," he said.
He urged residents to listen to the radio for the latest on these conditions.
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation to the Portfolio Committee on Basic Education on Tuesday has revealed that only 42% of top-up textbooks, meant to replace...
Players in the SPAR Charity Golf Day survived breezy...
Agatha Rex, the 2017 Junior Production, performed...
Notice is given to all interested and affected parties that...
When the South African Police Service (SAPS) needed a...
You don't have to plan a weekend getaway to sip...
The GO GEORGE mascot Georgie paid a visit to...
A 29-year-old Port Elizabeth man is in police custody after...
For the first time schools in Port Elizabeth are in invited...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone