Hawks not investigating FIFA bribe claims

BY CHARL BOSCH - JUNE 4, 2015

The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, otherwise known as the Hawks, has denied a report by the Freedom Front Plus that it is investigating bribery allegations after former FIFA North American Head, Chuck Blazer, yesterday admitted that an amount of $10-million had been paid for the country’s hosting of the 2010 World Cup.

In statement, Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said that the unit was no in way co-operating with the FBI as claimed by the party’s Parliamentary Leader Anton Alberts, but that an enquiry file had been opened following documents it received.

Yesterday, Alberts stated that the party had received confirmation that the Hawks were in involved with the investigation that the bribe was paid to SAFA, and that scrutiny had been placed on the body’s President and recently elected Nelson Mandela Bay Mayor, Danny Jordaan.

“We have not received any correspondence from the FBI or United States authorities, who are at the centre of the FIFA controversy investigations and as the directorate we have no jurisdiction to be investigating the matter.

“The speculations that have been doing the rounds claiming that Hawks are investigating SAFA President Dr Danny Jordaan and other SAFA officials are simply malicious, baseless and unfounded. No case has been opened against anybody in relation to the FIFA scandal and as such no formal investigation has been instituted,” Mulaudzi said.

In a five page document submitted to authorities late yesterday, Blazer confessed to have been one the executives involved in accepting the bribe for South Africa to host the event, and that he also facilitated a similar action in the handing of the 1998 World Cup to France.

Hours before his comment, Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula stated that the amount was part of the event’s Diaspora Legacy Programme to further football development in the Caribbean, and that the handling of funds by former North America, Central America, and the Caribbean Confederation (CONCACAF) boss, Jack Warner, did not raise any questions.

Warner, along with five other FIFA executives, have since been issued with warrants of arrest by Interpol on charges of racketeering and corruption.

 

IMAGE sourced from www.timeslive.co.za