Home Affairs says it has cleared unabridged birth certificate backlog

JUNE 1, 2015

In an effort that seems to be nothing short of a miracle, the Department of Home Affairs has managed to reduce the backlog of 4 000 applications for unabridged birth certificates to only 800.

At their latest media briefing regarding the implementation of the unabridged birth certificate rule that came into effect on Monday, 1 June, home affairs director general Mkuseli Apleni said that staff had been working tirelessly since Tuesday 26 May to minimise the notorious backlog.

"The 800 applications include where supporting documents are not available. We will continue sending reminders through text messages," Apleni said.

He added that since they knew people tended to change their numbers, they would be investigating alternative forms of communication.

Apleni also said that those who are planning to travel but had not yet received the unabridged birth certificates they had applied for, are advised to visit any home affairs office to request a document that will allow them to travel with children through South African borders.

The department of home affairs has also launched dedicated numbers for people to call for assistance in the event they have not received their documents and need to travel.

Here are the numbers they should to call: 072 634 0589; 072 634 0614; 073 567 6208; and 073 567 5968.

 

---News24wire