“I cannot feel proudly South African” - Malema

BY CHARL BOSCH - APRIL 21, 2015

Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader, Julius Malema, has said described the spate xenophobic attacks in Durban and Johannesburg as “embarrassing” and that he feels ashamed to call himself South African.

Addressing residents in Alexandra during a door-to-door campaign yesterday, Malema berated locals for blaming their problems and circumstances on foreigners, saying that the various countries which helped fight against Apartheid, never instigated violence against South Africans, before accusing the African National Congress (ANC) led government of being responsible for the latest outbreak of foreigner hate.

“They never chased us away. Today they are happy we are free. They are coming to us because we help you when you are in trouble. And what do we do? We take out knives and we kill you. That is wrong,” eNCA quoted him as saying.

A reported seven people have so far been killed since the violence flared-up three weeks ago.

Malema also stated that the government’s sole interest was to “protect white privileges” while resident are being left in poverty, and that comments made by Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini were not aimed at launching an attack on foreigners.

“If you are killing people in the name of the Zulus you are wrong. He’s never given you that task. Don’t kill people in the name of the king,” he said.

Reacting to the brutal murder of Mozambique national Emmanuel Sithole over the weekend, Malema said that the taking of the 35-year old’s life was “pure criminality and not a xenophobic attack” and that residents should take back their streets from criminals “as we are peaceful people”.

It has meanwhile been reported that a fourth suspect was arrested by Alexandra police yesterday evening in connection with the death of Sithole, which caused a massive uproar after a series of pictures, showing him being kicked and stabbed, appeared on the cover of Sunday Times.