Independent Newspapers got it wrong: Presidency

NOVEMBER 10, 2014

The Presidency says no affidavit or court papers have been lodged by President Jacob Zuma or the Presidency since 2012 in relation to Bheki Cele, in his capacity as former National Police Commissioner.

Independent Newspapers ran a story on Sunday, quoting an affidavit filed by the President's legal advisor Bonisiwe Makhene.

The media house claims that the President has responded to Cele’s “bold bid to get his job back, sticking to his decision to fire the flamboyant former police boss…’’.

“We wish to point out that the affidavit quoted by the media house, purporting to be a new response by the President, was in fact filed in 2012.

“It is therefore grossly misleading, unethical and mischievous to give an impression that the court papers are new,” the Presidency said in a statement.

Cele was earlier this year appointed as Forestry and Fisheries Deputy Minister. 

Photo: Deputy Minister Bheki Cele.