IPTS scandal: Jordaan says disciplinary action against officials already underway
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, together with other stakeholders, is working to ‘reclaim’ the Bay from crime and corruption, Executive Mayor Danny Jordaan, told councillors during a sitting on Wednesday.
“We are working with the Community Policing Forum, the South African Police Services and various community based organizations to help shape the ‘Take back our City’ campaign,” Jordaan said.
“This campaign demonstrates that the people of this metro would like to be part of the solution. In fact to make this city work, we need to work closer together and unite across class divisions and racial lines.
“Crime cannot be allowed to continue as if those of us tasked with the responsibility to lead do not care about the well-being and circumstances of our people and their daily struggles. It cannot be allowed to continue.”
With regards to the violent protests that have been witnessed in the Mtero over the few months, the Mayor said that his administration would accelerate the implementation of its service delivery programs “and always be responsive to the needs of our communities”.
He also extended condolences to the families of Marvin Van Der Merwe, who was stabbed to death in Ext 22 in the Chatty / Bloemendal area, and Asadullah Ajimudin, who was bludgeoned to death with a cricket bat in a robbery at his flatlet in Summerstrand.
“The ‘Take back our City’ campaign, however, must go beyond the realm of a crime prevention strategy as it has the potential to represent our steadfast goal to regain ground lost due to crime, corruption, inefficiency and a lack of transparency that caused a wedge between this local government institution and its citizens,” Jordaan said.
“Speaker, if we would like to turn the tide, we have to tap into the energy of those who are excited to make our city work.”
On the Metro’s economy
Jordaan said that the municipality had a major focus on economic development over the last couple of weeks, which included a planning workshop that was recently held at Bay West.
“The Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber, as well as, Nafcoc presented its Vision 2030 and inputs were made by other stakeholders regarding potential development and the economic potential of our city. It is clear that there are many visionary people in our city who would like to share their views and ideas with us on how best to take Nelson Mandela Bay forward,” he said.
The Mayor said that on Wednesday, they had another engagement with Transnet regarding their capital investment projects, which include the decommissioning of the existing of the existing Manganese Terminal and construction of a new one in Coega, the Tank Farm, the Nelson Mandela Statue, the waterfront development in the Port Elizabeth Harbour and the continued development of Coega remain high on our developmental agenda.
“On the 18th September 2015 we will be convening a workshop with the State Owned Enterprises and City leaders to discuss investment plans for the city and how both to align and speed up projects,” he said.
“Very soon we will commence with the IDP public participation processes. This process must be inclusive to allow for residents to continuously engage with us. Once again, we will need the administration to respond diligently to the issues that will be raised by communities at these sessions.”
Jordaan said that the 'Take back our City' campaign also needs to deal with corruption decisively.
“The Kabuso and Pikoli reports spearheaded by the ANC-governed municipality, indicated areas that required detailed investigation and led to us establishing a forensic investigation into the Integrated Public Transport System,” he said.
“Without going into specific details I can confirm that a very detailed study into the IPTS took place that took time partly due to the number of documents and transactions that needed to be reviewed.
“When I previously said that swift action will be taken, I meant it. Disciplinary action against some of the individuals identified during the investigation, have already been initiated. We are working closely with the Hawks and other law enforcement agencies.”
He called on the public and municipal officials to come forward and assist in this process of eradicating corruption in the Metro.
While indicating that a “clean-up operation” was at a “very sensitive stage” the Mayor also appealed to councillors and officials not to divulge it “as we do not want the reliability of our action to be compromised”.
United Democratic Movement councillor, Mandla Valtein, who won the by-election for the Metro’s Ward 30 last week, was also welcomed at council for the first time.
For articles related to the IPTS scandal, click HERE.
A 25-year-old Centane man, Mhleli Ningiza, was handed a life sentence by the Butterworth Magistrate's Court, which convicted him of raping and murdering a 19-year-old woman ...
Arguably, from what has been evidenced in the 2017 Super...
Two suspects are expected in court after they...
The new legislation coming into effect, namely Sectional...
With the rerouting of the GO GEORGE service...
In honour of National Library Week, George...
It was a memorable weekend for locals who came...
Polishing the season off on a high note, the...
Police in King Williams Town arrested more...
If predictions by the Automobile Association (AA) of South...
- Over 1 000 police vehicles out of service in the Eastern Cape alone: DA
- Eight suspects expected in Port Elizabeth courts for various crimes
- Police appeal for leads following brazen early morning robbery in Ngcobo
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Petrol price April 2017: AA predicts fuel price decreases even after fuel levy increases