It was proper for me to resign - Nene

FEBRUARY 6, 2016

Former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene said, on Saturday, he felt it was “proper” for him to resign as an ANC MP.

This following his name being put forward to head the African Regional Centre of the New Development Bank/Brics bank.

“Yes, I resigned last year,” he confirmed.

“In line with my removal [and being nominated for the Brics bank position] I felt it would be the proper thing to do.”

While he resigned in December, his resignation was processed only last month.

After Nene’s sacking as finance minister, President Jacob Zuma said the "urgency of the changes in the leadership of the National Treasury" was because nominations needed to be sent to Shanghai in terms of the head of the African Regional Centre of the New Development Bank/BRICS Bank, which will be based in Johannesburg".

"Mr Nene is our candidate for this position. We are fully backing his candidature, knowing full well that he will excel and make the nation proud in his next assignment,” Zuma said at the time.

Nene said no formal offer has yet been received.

“Whatever comes, comes,” he said, adding that he looked forward to taking up the position for which he was nominated.

Nene was replaced with largely unknown David van Rooyen, who was put in the seat for four days and was replaced by Pravin Gordhan.