Jayde Panayiotou murder case: Christopher seeks bail, state has incriminating video

MAY 11, 2015

The husband of murdered Port Elizabeth teacher, Jayde Panayiotou, who is also believed to be the mastermind behind her abduction and subsequent murder is expected to apply for bail this Thursday – but the State has said it will oppose.

After initially choosing not to apply for bail when he first made his court appearance at the Port Elizabeth Magistrates Court, the lawyer representing Panayiotou, who is being held at St Albans Prison, said he had changed his mind.

However, state prosecutors are also expected to reveal a video recording showing Panayiotou meeting with the alleged middleman, Thando Siyoli, after Siyoli allegedly demanded R5000 extra – a meeting, which was apparently set up by the police to lure Panayiotou.

The state will argue that the video leaves absolutely no doubt that Panayiotou masterminded his wife's shooting. He is the only accused of three suspects to indicate that he will apply for bail.

NPA spokesperson, Velekhaya Mgobhozi.

"I can confirm as the NPA that there is a request for the bail application to be conducted on Thursday. We will be opposing this application" he told a local radio station.

 

RELATED:  

ALLEGED JAYDE PANAYIOTOU HITMAN APPEARS IN COURT BRUISED

JAYDE PANAYIOTOU MURDER CASE: THE DEVELOPMENTS SO FAR