Letter implicating Jordaan and Dlamini-Zuma in FIFA scandal emerges
A letter from 2010 Local Organising Committee (LOC) Chief Executive Officer, Danny Jordaan, to FIFA General Secretary, Jerome Valcke, has emerged which seems to implicate Jordaan and Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma in the scandal surrounding the process behind hosting the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
According to the Mail and Guardian, Jordaan wrote to FIFA on December 10, 2007 regarding the payment of $10 million to the 2010 FIFA World Cup Diaspora Legacy Programme.
The letter describes a contradiction in how the South African government intended payment of the $10 million to be made.
Jabu Moleketi, then Deputy Minister of Finance, recommended that the payment be made to FIFA while Jordaan writes that, after discussion with Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, the Minister of Foreign Affairs at the time, the "funds should rather be paid over" to the 2010 LOC.
Jordaan then suggests FIFA deducts the amount from the 2010 LOC's future operational budget and deals directly with the Diaspora Legacy support programme.
On Wednesday, Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula again denied any bribe was paid to secure the hosting of the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Mbalula said that the $10 million payment made by South Africa to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) was an "above board" payment to an "approved project" intended to create a lasting legacy.
Jordaan's letter is dated after the explosive letter that surfaced earlier in the week, where then SAFA president Molefi Oliphant wrote to Valcke requesting that Jack Warner be tasked with the administration and implementation of the Diaspora Legacy Progamme.
The letter dated May 8, 2008 states that "in the view of the decision of the South African government that FIFA withholds $10 million from the LOC's future operational budget funding and advances the withheld money to the Diaspora Legacy Progamme".
The letter's author, SAFA president at the time Molefi Oliphant, also requests that the Diaspora Legacy Progamme be administered and implemented by the president of CONCACAF - who at the time was Jack Warner, the man at the very centre of the current US investigation into a number of corruption and bribery charges.
On Thursday, Mbalula told Beeld newspaper that former president Thabo Mbeki was the one who decided to make the $10m payment.
Asked how and by whom this decision was made, Mbalula replied: “Pres. Mbeki spoke to members of the LOC (local organising committee). The president of the country is the CEO of the country.”
UDM leader Bantu Holomisa said in an interview with News24 that South Africa needed to come up "with another story" to explain the payment.
"We are compromised there. It would be a miracle if we escape the allegations that we have bribed."
It has been a slow start to the Save South Africa Freedom ...
Two suspects, aged 21 and 28 years old, was arrested shortly...
A crowd of loyal supporters has gathered in front of the City Hall, in Port Elizabeth, where the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape is hosting its Freedom Day rally....
11 students from the King Hintsa TVET College, Theko and...
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa ...
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances