Lorenzo takes lights-to-flag win
Double former MotoGP World Champion, Jorge Lorezno, cruised to his 55th career victory after dominating yesterday’s Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez. Repsol Honda’s defending champion Marc Marquez made it a one-two for Spain by finishing some 5.5 sec behind his Yamaha compatriot, and a further six seconds ahead of Lorenzo’s teammate and championship leader, Valentino Rossi.
Having been the only rider to break the 1:37 barrier to claim pole position, Lorenzo shrugged off a less than spectacular start to the season by leading from the first corner en-route to his first win since the Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi in October last year.
“I am absolutely proud of myself and of the team that we finally delivered some extraordinary work, because we had some problems that have been beyond our control,” he told the official MotoGP website after the race.
“Due to the lining of the helmet in Doha, my illness in Austin and the tyres in Argentina we couldn‘t demonstrate our true potential. This time I could do it during the whole weekend and especially on braking. I was able to brake really late, enter well into the corners, and carry good corner speed and acceleration, so everything was fine.”
Nursing a sore finger from his crash with Rossi at the previous round in Argentina, Marquez struggled to match Lorenzo’s pace and ultimately had to settle for the second step on the podium.
“This is a track where we've always struggled a little because of my riding style –and this year also because of my injury, but today we achieved what we set out to do. On the opening laps I followed Jorge, but by lap five I could tell that although my finger was not a problem, I was unconsciously working more with my right arm and it began to stiffen up,” Marquez said after the race.
“From then on, I decided to just try and finish the race strong. Then I saw that Valentino was closing in on me and I thought "it's going to be Argentina all over again" but I gathered strength and this time I was able to maintain the gap between us”.
Speaking of his 200th career podium, Rossi stated that he battled to find the correct rhythm and could do little to stay with the pair of local heroes up front.
“It was a difficult weekend. From Friday on we were struggling a lot to find the right setting and I wasn‘t able to ride on the maximum level,” he said.
“We improved and worked until after the warm up, trying to improve the setting. In the end it‘s a podium, so it‘s not so bad, but also in the race I wasn‘t strong enough to fight with Jorge and also with Marc. Especially entering the corners I wasn‘t at 100%.”
Behind the top three, Brit Cal Crutchlow finished fourth for LCR Honda ahead of Monster Tech3 Yamaha’s Pol Espargaro, and factory Ducati rider Andrea Iannone. Suzuki mounted Aleix Espargaro came home seventh ahead of the second Monster Tech3 Yamaha of Bradley Smith while Ducati’s Andrea Dovizioso came back from an early trip to the gravel trap to finish ninth ahead of Pramac Ducati’s Yonny Hernandez.
The next round will take on the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans in France on May 17th.
IMAGE sourced from picnation.com
Eastern Cape police on Monday appealed to the public for leads as they launched a massive manhunt for a group of armed robbers that allegedly robbed a bank in Ngcobo and opened fire on officers in a daring robbery early on Monday morning...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Monday said that...
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela...
Did you know 1 in 4 children experience vision problems...
Noragi Elsie Zamela’s long wait for confirmation of her ...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- NMMU Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship award recipients ready to do proud
- Eight suspects expected in Port Elizabeth courts for various crimes