Madikizela-Mandela takes fight to Constitutional Court
Struggle stalwart and former wife to Nelson Mandela,Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, is now reportedly approaching the Constitutional Court in her bid to halt a meeting between the Mandela family and the AbaThembu.
The meeting is scheduled for tomorrow (Friday) at Madiba's home in Qunu.
Madikizela-Mandela, who has filed papers with the Umthatha High Court claiming the Qunu home - even though she isn't mentioned in Madiba’s will, has argued the property may be damaged after the meeting as so many people are expected to attend the gathering.
Violence expected at Mandela family meeting
Her lawyer also suggested that she is also worried there will be violence at the meeting.
Earlier this week the Eastern Cape High Court struck her urgent application to halt the meeting off the roll. The judge ruled that Madikizela-Mandela should have included the executors of Madiba's will in her application.
Madikizela-Mandela later said in a statement that the judge in Mthatha refused her access to courts and justice.
"As I indicated before, I shall remain respecting courts and their decisions but reserve the right to exhaust all available remedies," she said.
Advocate Mvuzo Notyesi, her lawyer maintains that Madikizela-Mandela is the rightful owner of the Qunu home. He said that approaching the Constitutional Court is the logical next step.
"The reason why we are now going to the Constitutional Court is because when we attempted to reinstate the matter and join the executors, the same judge refused to have the matter reinstated," said Notyesi.
"That obviously leaves us no option but to bring an application to the Constitutional Court."
Meanwhile, Madiba's grandson, Mandla Mandela, is adamant Friday's meeting will go ahead.
Read more on this story: MADIKIZELA-MANDELA WILL TRY AGAIN TO STOP MANDELA FAMILY MEETING AT QUNU
Read even more: NGCEBETSHA CLAN NOT PART OF MANDELA FAMILY: MANDLA
Three formidable Nelson Mandela Bay residents were...
More than 200 firefighters, including firefighting aircraft, were kept busy at multiple fires in Pinehaven, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Baviaanskloof and Port Elizabeth, said Working on Fire Pty (Ltd), which runs the Department of Environmental Affairs’ Expanded...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Thursday morning...
SVA International Architects are nearing completion of the...
The South African Weather Services on Thursday...
Police have opened an inquest docket after the body of a...
After the devastation caused by a fire in Theesecombe...
Today at Montecasino, in the heart of Fourways...
At the beginning of 2016, DSG launched a bold new initiative...
- Body of missing Port Alfred woman recovered in deep gorge outside Grahamstown
- Second veld fire in Circular drive, Port Elizabeth, brought under control
- Severe thunderstorms, high discomfort levels and veld fire conditions expected today
- BE ADVISED: Water shut down in Sardinia Bay and Seaview
- Port Alfred police appeal for assistance in locating missing woman