Madikizela-Mandela will try again to stop Mandela family meeting at Qunu

JANUARY 14, 2015

ANC stalwart, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's lawyers say they plan to approach the courts again before the end of the week to halt a planned family meeting at Nelson Mandela’s Qunu home on Friday.

Yesterday, the Eastern Cape High Court dismissed Madikizela-Mandela's urgent application to stop the gathering, which was called by Madiba’s grandson, Mandla Mandela, from going ahead.

Meeting can go ahead

The court struck the matter off the roll after it found she failed to include the executors of Nelson Mandela’s will in the application which rendered it baseless.

Mandla says he’s happy the meeting can go ahead.

Madikizela-Mandela says it’s disrespectful to host the meeting at the Qunu home while she is still contesting ownership of the property in the Eastern Cape High Court.

Although there are claims that there may be violence if the meeting goes ahead, Mandla is adamant that it should go ahead at the end of this week.

Madiba committed property fraud

Madikizela-Mandela previously accused former president Nelson Mandela of committing property fraud alleging that the Qunu home was given to her while he was in prison and should not have been part of Madiba’s estate.