Malema case postponed due to co-accused's illness

AUGUST 3, 2015

The trial against EFF leader, Julius Malema was postponed in the High Court in Polokwane on Monday because one of his co-accused, Kagisho Dichabe had fallen ill. 

Malema and his co-accused made a brief appearance before the court where Dichabe's lawyer said his client had been in hospital for some time. 

Dichabe's medical certificate was handed to the court. 

It was understood that the other legal parties were only notified on Sunday that Dichabe would not be present in court.  The matter was postponed to Tuesday where it would be decided whether the case would proceed without him. 

"We were quite startled (to hear of the postponement)," said Malema's lawyer, Mike Hellens.

"I understand the State is considering conceding to a separation of powers. We are ready to start tomorrow. In the event that they want a postponement we will file an application for a separation of trials," Hellen's said. 

Malema and his co-accused, On-Point Engineering directors Lesiba Gwangwa and Kagisho Dichabe, face charges of racketeering, fraud, corruption, and money-laundering.

According to court papers, Malema allegedly had business ties with Gwangwa. Malema's Ratanang Family Trust was an indirect shareholder in On-Point Engineering.

The State alleges that Malema and his co-accused misrepresented themselves to the Limpopo roads and transport department, leading to a R52m contract being awarded to On-Point Engineering.

It was alleged that Malema used some of the money to buy a farm and a Mercedes-Benz.

All three are out on bail.

 

---News24wire