Malema ‘free’ until 2015


Corruption charges against Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader, Julius Malema, and his co-accused have been postponed until August 3rd next year.

Malema, along with the directors of On-Point Engineering and Gwama Properties, Lesiba Gwangwa and Kagisho Dichabe, face up to 52 charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering after benefitting from a R52-million tender award to On-Point Engineering from the Limpopo Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport in 2009.

All three men were charged in 2012 after court papers revealed that Malema’s Ratanang Family Trust had been a shareholder in On-Point, and that he had business ties with Gwangwa. It is alleged that Malema used the money to purchase a farm and a Mercedes-Benz.

Addressing supporters and the media outside the Polokwane High Court on Tuesday after the postponement, Malema said that he is keen to show that "there is life outside of the ANC".

"The ANC does not lead any discussion in society. The ANC is at its weakest - there is no leadership," he said.

"They do everything in their power to silence the EFF - look at Parliament. When people see the red beret they don't think about Malema, they think "Pay back the money". We will never create distance between us and the domestic workers".

He also blasted rumours of any collaboration between the EFF and the Democratic Alliance, saying that his organisation does not align with a “racist organisation”, before stating that his personal case must be kept separate from any others.