Merging Chemistry and Design at St. Andrews
The Grade 7 classes from Prep and DSG are engaged in a processing and product design practical task as part of their Design and Technology lessons. Required to extract floral essences using distillation, the pupils make either an insect repellent or a cosmetic product.
Once the pupils have used the extracted floral essence to make a new product, they are then tasked to design the packaging and brain storm the branding of their product.
The lessons are taking place in the newly refurbished laboratory facilities in the Spencer Chapman Sciences block at St Andrew’s College. Learning to use the up-to-date apparatus and being conscious of safely in the labs is exciting and should encourage the pupils to enjoy studying chemistry when they move up to Grade 8.
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth
- Slow start to Save South Africa's Freedom Day national rally in Zwide
- LIVE STREAM: Democratic Alliance leads Freedom Day Rally at Vuyisile Mini Square
- Small Business opportunities at the Coega IDZ