Merging Chemistry and Design at St. Andrews
The Grade 7 classes from Prep and DSG are engaged in a processing and product design practical task as part of their Design and Technology lessons. Required to extract floral essences using distillation, the pupils make either an insect repellent or a cosmetic product.
Once the pupils have used the extracted floral essence to make a new product, they are then tasked to design the packaging and brain storm the branding of their product.
The lessons are taking place in the newly refurbished laboratory facilities in the Spencer Chapman Sciences block at St Andrew’s College. Learning to use the up-to-date apparatus and being conscious of safely in the labs is exciting and should encourage the pupils to enjoy studying chemistry when they move up to Grade 8.
- Very hot and uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
- ANC-led march demands better service delivery from Nelson Mandela Bay’s DA-led coalition
- Christmas comes early at the Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber
- Zuma's refusal to quit puts South Africa's economy on an even weaker footing
- Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Bill hearings come to Eastern Cape