Merging Chemistry and Design at St. Andrews
The Grade 7 classes from Prep and DSG are engaged in a processing and product design practical task as part of their Design and Technology lessons. Required to extract floral essences using distillation, the pupils make either an insect repellent or a cosmetic product.
Once the pupils have used the extracted floral essence to make a new product, they are then tasked to design the packaging and brain storm the branding of their product.
The lessons are taking place in the newly refurbished laboratory facilities in the Spencer Chapman Sciences block at St Andrew’s College. Learning to use the up-to-date apparatus and being conscious of safely in the labs is exciting and should encourage the pupils to enjoy studying chemistry when they move up to Grade 8.
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Police investigating after man drowns in St Francis Bay
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments