Military aircraft departs SA to bring back more bodies from Nigeria
A C130 military aircraft has departed South Africa with a team of military health personnel and forensic pathologists to Nigeria to repatriate more bodies that have remained in that country.
This follows the building collapse at the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN), last year.
The C130 military aircraft departed last night at about 9pm from the Waterkloof Airforce Base, in Pretoria.
“A South African National Defence Force (SANDF) C130 aircraft with a repatriation team is departing to Lagos (Nigeria) to bring the mortal remains of those that have been positively identified,” Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe said on Monday.
The number of South Africans that will be repatriated was not immediately available.
Last year, 85 South Africans were killed and 26 were injured during a tragic incident in Nigeria. Seventy-four bodies have since been repatriated along with all the injured.
The C130 aircraft is expected back at the Waterkloof Air Force Base on Thursday evening.
The mortal remains will be transported from Waterkloof to the nearest government mortuaries. Government social workers are in continuous communication with the families of the deceased.
“The long wait for these families, friends and communities is finally over,” Minister Radebe said.
He said the South African government had been working tirelessly with the Nigerian government in the past two months to try and positively identify the mortal remains of the remaining South Africans.
“Fresh samples were collected from the 11 families for further verification tests,” he said.
Government has encouraged anyone in need of grief counselling services to call the Social Development Department’s toll-free number on 0800 428 428.
They can alternatively send a “please call me” text message to: *120*7867# and a professional counsellor will call them back.
The grief counselling services are available freely to those who wish to use them.
“Government expresses its appreciation to the Nigerian authorities for the cooperation accorded to us during the identification and repatriation of the injured and deceased South Africans.
“All this work was done in a professional and cordial manner due to their assistance and support,” Minister Radebe said. – SAnews.gov.za
Photo Caption: SCOAN building collapse that killed 85 South Africans last year. IMAGE supplied by www.360nobs.com
The Coega Industrial Development Zone (IDZ) has signed 61...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
KwaDwesi Crime Prevention Unit members on Thursday acted on a tip-off about police uniforms at a house in Mbaba Street, in KwaDwesi, Port Elizabeth...
Against the background of a calm and orderly 2017...
Eastern Cape Premier, Phumulo Masualle, repeatedly said...
Amid pomp and fanfare, Eastern Cape Premier, Phumulo...
In 2016 the matter of whether non-executive directors...
FNB NMMU-Madibaz skipper Kevin Kaba is banking on his...
Willowvale police on Friday appealed to the public to...
Known as the ‘most famous white woman in South Africa...
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments
- Police find handcuffs, fake international passports, fake SA IDs etc in KwaDwesi
- FULL SPEECH: Eastern Cape Premier Phumulo Masualle delivers his 2017 State of the Province
- VIDEO: Evita Bezuidenhout talks about her Port Elizabeth show – the ‘State of the Nation Address’
- SOPA 2017: Premier Masualle must be 'living in his own echo chamber' - DA