Minister promises crackdown in illegal EC initiation schools

BY CHARL BOSCH - JULY 9, 2015

Deputy Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister, Obed Bapela, has said that an estimated 1 100 young boys have so far been rescued from illegal initiation schools since the start of the winter season.

Earlier today, Eastern Cape Department of Health Spokesperson, Sizwe Kupelo, confirmed that the death toll had gone up to 21 after a 16-year old boy from Nothintsila village near Ngqeleni, succumbed to his injuries.

Speaking after visiting the province earlier today, Bapela said around 145 boys have so far been hospitalised, and that the department would continue its efforts to track down and close illegal initiation schools.

“This is what we don’t like to see; our culture being undermined, ridiculed and becoming a laughing stock,” Eyewitness News quoted him as saying.

Out of the various districts, seven deaths have so far been reported in the Nyandeni municipality with other fatalities occurring in the Mhlonhlo (4), Chris Hani (3) and Alfred Nzo municipalities (2). Five more deaths were also reported as having taken place in the King Sabata Dalindyebo, Qaukeni, Joe Gqabi, Amathole and Buffalo City municipalities.

 

IMAGE sourced from tvcnews.tv