Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality honours more former and late Councillors at Garden Of Remembrance
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) announced on Thursday that it would honour more former and late Councillors at the Garden Of Remembrance in the Donkin Reserve in Central, Port Elizabeth.
“Early this year, in recognition of and as a tribute to deceased or former Ward or PR or Mayoral Committee Councillors, the NMBM, through the Office of the Executive Mayor, Cllr Benson Fihla, decided to establish a Garden of Remembrance at the Donkin Reserve,” the municipality said in a statement.
“At the garden, a plaque and a tree representing each councillor were erected and planted, as a symbol of remembrance.”
Recently, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, led by the Executive Mayor, officially opened the garden at a formal ceremony attended by some family members of the late councillors.
“At that stage, some Councillors could not be included, as some issues still needed to be clarified with their families. Two of those Councillors were Manelisi Vumazonke and Buyisile Mkhavu, who both died recently while serving as Councillors,” the municipality said.
“On Friday, October 31, the NMBM will unveil the plaques that have been erected in honour of those Councillors who were not part of the initial list. Members of families for the late Councillors will be attending the event. Members of the media are invited to attend and cover this important event.”
The names of the late Councillors who will be honoured are:
- Adriaan Rossouw from Despatch, who died in 2004;
- Loyiso Nduku from Kwanobuhle, who died in 2009;
- Adriaan Coetzee from Despatch, who died in 2011;
- Manelisi Ashworth Vumazonke from Kwanobuhle, who died in 2014;
- Buyisile Mkhavu from Uitenhage, who died in 2014;
- Clifford Frederick Brainers from Bloemendal, who died in 2000; and
- Nomzi Balfour from Missionvale, who died in 1998.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!
- NMMU lambasted for giving parents and students 'false' assurances of safety
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Money owed to Eastern Cape municipalities climbs to R8.2 billion: DA
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year