New name sought after merger of Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi municipalities
Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi local municipalities are embarking on a series of ward meetings and stakeholder engagements in order to determine the name of the new municipality to be established resulting from the amalgamation of the aforementioned municipalities.
This is after the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs requested to the Municipal Demarcation Board to re-determine the boundaries of certain municipalities.
The matter, after being entertained by the Courts, has now progressed to the stage where the Eastern Cape MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs has promulgated legislated transitional measures to facilitate and put into place the re-structuring of the affected municipalities.
The Political Change Management Committee, headed by the Executive Mayor of Sarah Baartman District Municipality, Cllr. Eunice Kekana, is in the process to establishing a Name Change Committee, which comprise of representatives of all the affected municipalities to manage the process.
A number of key areas should be looked at when thinking of a new name.
- Consideration of an Icon of that municipal area, it could be a representative of the democratic dispensation that seeks to promote national unity and cohesion.
- A geographical feature that seeks to embrace the diverse cultures, and in doing so, shape people’s national character
- It could be a well thought out name that facilitates healing, upholding symbolic restitution.
- The name should not be offensive
- It should not be associated with colonial/ apartheid features
- The name should seek to unite people of the new municipality
- Name that has potential to bring investment and promote tourism.
The deadline for submissions is 24 November 2015. Residents can obtain proposal forms from the Communications Officers of the various municipalities or from the administrative buildings of the municipalities.
All registered stakeholders, individuals and communities of the three municipalities are requested to submit a proposed name, with a motivation, for the new municipality.
For more information please speak to your councillor or contact the Municipality.
Again cell phone records dominated the first part...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber says it agrees...
Uitenhage police are investigating a case of culpable homicide after a 60 year-old male lost control of his motorcycle on Sunday afternoon and killed a child along the Kamesh Road, in Kamesh, Uitenhage...
Comair has announced that, in line with a new ruling by...
Dutywa police arrested a 33 year-old man...
The South African government's decision to withdraw...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) says...
Winter is over, summer is here and in a few months it will be...
Anyone and everyone in the market for an SUV offering a...
- 'Classes' suspended at NMMU on Monday to allow for mediation process
- Port Elizabeth man slapped with 10-year jail term for attempted murder
- By tracking victim's iPhone, Port Alfred police pounce on alleged robber
- Withdrawal from the ICC: A sad day for South Africa and Africa
- Alleged housebreaking suspect killed by mob at Walter Sisulu University