New name sought after merger of Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi municipalities
Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi local municipalities are embarking on a series of ward meetings and stakeholder engagements in order to determine the name of the new municipality to be established resulting from the amalgamation of the aforementioned municipalities.
This is after the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs requested to the Municipal Demarcation Board to re-determine the boundaries of certain municipalities.
The matter, after being entertained by the Courts, has now progressed to the stage where the Eastern Cape MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs has promulgated legislated transitional measures to facilitate and put into place the re-structuring of the affected municipalities.
The Political Change Management Committee, headed by the Executive Mayor of Sarah Baartman District Municipality, Cllr. Eunice Kekana, is in the process to establishing a Name Change Committee, which comprise of representatives of all the affected municipalities to manage the process.
A number of key areas should be looked at when thinking of a new name.
- Consideration of an Icon of that municipal area, it could be a representative of the democratic dispensation that seeks to promote national unity and cohesion.
- A geographical feature that seeks to embrace the diverse cultures, and in doing so, shape people’s national character
- It could be a well thought out name that facilitates healing, upholding symbolic restitution.
- The name should not be offensive
- It should not be associated with colonial/ apartheid features
- The name should seek to unite people of the new municipality
- Name that has potential to bring investment and promote tourism.
The deadline for submissions is 24 November 2015. Residents can obtain proposal forms from the Communications Officers of the various municipalities or from the administrative buildings of the municipalities.
All registered stakeholders, individuals and communities of the three municipalities are requested to submit a proposed name, with a motivation, for the new municipality.
For more information please speak to your councillor or contact the Municipality.
When a timeous response is needed to any-size disaster - be it...
The George Municipality on Wednesday advised local residents...
Early in January, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) announced the appointment of Dr Randall Jonas as...
The South African Weather Services on Wednesday morning...
The effects of a sovereign credit rating downgrade would be...
Notice is hereby given that the electricity supply...
Scores of new students and their parents are set to descend...
An enthusiastic team of 30 champions have been...
Pearson High School hosted fellow PE rivals, Grey High...
- Ford Kugas Burning: Early data shows lack of coolant circulation is the cause says Ford SA
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Case against New Year's Day rape accused postponed to Thursday
- Over 61 800 speeding tickets issued in Bay during summer season