New name sought after merger of Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi municipalities
Camdeboo, Baviaans and Ikwezi local municipalities are embarking on a series of ward meetings and stakeholder engagements in order to determine the name of the new municipality to be established resulting from the amalgamation of the aforementioned municipalities.
This is after the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs requested to the Municipal Demarcation Board to re-determine the boundaries of certain municipalities.
The matter, after being entertained by the Courts, has now progressed to the stage where the Eastern Cape MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs has promulgated legislated transitional measures to facilitate and put into place the re-structuring of the affected municipalities.
The Political Change Management Committee, headed by the Executive Mayor of Sarah Baartman District Municipality, Cllr. Eunice Kekana, is in the process to establishing a Name Change Committee, which comprise of representatives of all the affected municipalities to manage the process.
A number of key areas should be looked at when thinking of a new name.
- Consideration of an Icon of that municipal area, it could be a representative of the democratic dispensation that seeks to promote national unity and cohesion.
- A geographical feature that seeks to embrace the diverse cultures, and in doing so, shape people’s national character
- It could be a well thought out name that facilitates healing, upholding symbolic restitution.
- The name should not be offensive
- It should not be associated with colonial/ apartheid features
- The name should seek to unite people of the new municipality
- Name that has potential to bring investment and promote tourism.
The deadline for submissions is 24 November 2015. Residents can obtain proposal forms from the Communications Officers of the various municipalities or from the administrative buildings of the municipalities.
All registered stakeholders, individuals and communities of the three municipalities are requested to submit a proposed name, with a motivation, for the new municipality.
For more information please speak to your councillor or contact the Municipality.
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) to send the disgraced former CEO of the power utility Eskom to parliament as the precursor to...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
THE best of Nelson Mandela Bay female boxers will feature...
With only two nights to go until the opening night of the circus...
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments