NMB Security Head appointed without Department being properly informed

BY CHARL BOSCH - JUNE 6, 2016

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay has alleged that the municipality never properly informed Provincial MEC for Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Fikile Xasa, on the controversial appointment of Linda Mti as Metro Safety and Security Head.

In reply to a Parliamentary question by the party’s Metro mayoral candidate Athol Trollip on May 20th, Xasa stated that while the municipality claimed to have sent a recruitment submission regarding Mti’s nomination, his office is yet to receive it for concurrence.

Xasa also said he is unable to determine whether the correct procedures were followed as “I can only act on the basis of information forwarded to office in this regard”.

Mti, who previously served as security head for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and commissioner of correctional services, was appointed to the position in April despite facing reported allegations of drunk driving in 2008 for an accident three years before, and fraud worth R1.5-billion.

Speaking in a statement, Trollip said the party would submit an application for Xasa to investigate Mti’s, as it has become clear that Executive Mayor Danny Jordaan “rammed the appointment of his criminal pal through without due process”.

“We cannot have criminals in high office in the Nelson Mandela Metro and the DA will press on with the full investigation into Linda Mti’s appointment including pressing Speaker [Maria] Hermans to reveal the names and CVs of the alternative candidates,” Trollip said.