NMB speaker given week to reveal names of safety and security boss applicants

BY CHARL BOSCH - MAY 5, 2016

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay has given council speaker Maria Hermans seven days to make the names and CV’s of applicants who applied for the position of executive director for safety and security available for public scrutiny, or face legal action.

Last week, the Metro confirmed that former security head for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and commissioner of correctional services Linda Mti, had been appointed to the position despite facing allegations of fraud and corruption, and being fined for drunk driving in 2008 after a crash three years earlier.

In a statement, DA Metro mayoral candidate Athol Trollip said the subsequent defence of Mit by the ruling African National Congress (ANC) was not surprising, as it has continued to portray itself as the “defenders of criminality just like it defends Jacob Zuma”.

“Mti’s new responsibilities include overseeing the much-delayed metro police service, should Mayor Jordaan ever decided to launch one,” Trollip said.

“It is beyond comprehension that the ANC in Nelson Mandela Bay would see fit to appoint an individual with a criminal record, who is also implicated in a multi-billion rand fraud scandal, to head up an entire metro safety and security directorate,” Trollip said.

Defending Mti’s appointment last week, ANC regional spokesperson Bamanye Ntshona stated that remarks made by Trollip at the time were mere attempt to grabs headlines, and while it recognises Mti’s past indiscretions, “everyone deserves a second chance”.