No clarity on Oscar Pistorius release

SEPTEMBER 19, 2015

It was still unclear on Friday night when the Parole Review Board would make a decision on former Paralympian Oscar Pistorius's release.

Officials from the departments of correctional services and justice could not be reached to comment on the board's decision.

Journalists were stationed outside the Kgosi Mampuru prison and Pistorius's uncle's house in Pretoria for most of Friday, anticipating his possible release.

However by the 22:30, there was still no word on Pistorius's future.

Earlier, reporters outside his uncle Arnold's home were told by his cousin that he would not be released soon.

A man who looked similar to one of those who were seen protecting Pistorius during the trial arrived at the house on Friday afternoon.

The man went into the house and then was picked up by a woman outside the home in the quiet leafy suburb.

She was later identified as Oscar Pistorius's cousin.

A small media contingent stood outside the house.

As the woman reversed the car out of the driveway she spoke to journalists "Hy kom mos nie nou uit nie [he is not coming out now]," she said in Afrikaans. When a journalist said, "We don't know", she responded: "Ons weet [we know]".

The woman then left the premises.

Pistorius was jailed last year after he was found guilty of gunning down his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day in 2013. He has spent just more than 10 months in jail.

He was initially expected to be released on August 21 to serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest.

But, two days before that, Justice Minister Michael Masutha announced Pistorius would not be released, saying the parole board had acted prematurely when it decided in June that he could be released in August.

Masutha said the board should have made the decision only on August 21, when Pistorius would have served one-sixth of his five-year jail term.

--News24wire