Northern Areas schools shut again on Tuesday
Several schools in Port Elizabeth's Northern Areas are again closed on Tuesday for the second day after parents resolved last Thursday to shut down about 52 schools in the area until their ongoing demands for teachers, among other education related issues, are adequately met by the Eastern Cape Department of Education.
On Monday, the situation was reportedly calm but tense as children trickled to school while public order police and other emergency personnel maintained a heavy presence in the area.
At a meeting called on Monday evening at Sanctor High school to discuss the first day of the shut down, parents reportedly again resolved to keep the schools closed until their demands are met.
Speaking to Algoa FM, Chairperson of the Northern Areas Education Forum (NAEF), which represents parents and SGBs from the area and is leading the protest, Ronnie Matthys, said that they were meeting with representatives from the Premier's office on Tuesday.
He said they would also meet with parents on Wednedsay to provide feedback about the protest.
There were also been calls to occupy the offices of the Eastern Cape Department of Education until those demands are met.
Last year, in July, a similar shut down called on by the NAEF, turned violent and police had to disperse protesters, who were barricading roads, with teargas, rubber bullets, stun grenades and by water cannon.
In the end, local learners missed school for almost two weeks.
Addressing the media following a meeting to quell the protests, Eastern Cape Education MEC Mandla Makapula said that his department was working to address the shortage of teachers.
"This year, Port Elizabeth has been in the news due to a shortage of educators emanating from natural attrition and resignations, including promotions," he said.
"We had initially given this district 173 post to address this and 124 were filled. In addition, in May this year we gave the district 122 posts to fill all other vacant posts, following an audit on the shortage of teachers."
He said the shortages were for Afrikaans-speaking teachers in Maths, Science and the Foundation Phase.
"In most of the schools in the northern area, the language of instruction is Afrikaans," he said.
"Out of 122 posts, only 55 were appointed as of last week and schools are still submitting [their numbers]. Numbers might have changed as I am sitting here."
He said the problem of non-payment of teachers was being addressed.
"All teachers who have done their work must be paid."
Makapula said the department identified 213 teachers that were not paid. Of that figure, 177 would be paid by August 8.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality also announced that it had allocated R6.4 million to hire 330 caretakers, secretaries and security guards that the schools lacked.
Meanwhile, political parties in the Nelson Mandela Bay have called on the parents and NAEF to call off the schools shut down as they say preventing children from learning is not the best to air their grievances.
Image: Public order police in Gelvandale during the school closures in the Northern Areas in July 2015.
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela Bay on Friday said that while it regrets the events that led to violent clashes in a Nelson Mandel Bay Council meeting on Thursday, it was the Democratic Alliance-led coalition that is to blame for...
Residents of Port Elizabeth will have the opportunity to find...
I have been given the feedback that I am too hard on my...
Butterworth police says that they are investigating how a...
In its latest update to concerned parents and students, the...
Studies show 53% of South Africans don't take their annual...
Babalwa Breakfast is due to appear in the Port Elizabeth...
Nelson Mandela Bay Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture...
Police in Despatch on Thursday arrested three suspected...
This week, on Wednesday, marked the end of a landmark...
- Trollip appoints Yolanda Faro as new Metro Police Chief
- REVEALED: The Top 10 most stressful jobs in South Africa
- It was not just in Nelson Mandela Bay: DA accuses ANC of several coordinated disruptions
- The Bridge Street Brewery Summer Music Festival
- Large part of Nelson Mandela Bay without water on Thursday due to emergency repairs