NPA denies reports of warrant issued on Pistorius

DECEMBER 5, 2015

No warrant of arrest has been issued for Oscar Pistorius, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Friday.

"'No warrant has been issued, if it was we would have said so," NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku told News24.

Earlier, broadcaster eNCA had reported that a warrant of arrest was issued for Pistorius and it would be enforced next week when he was reportedly expected to apply for bail. Mfaku also denied that a date for a formal bail application had been confirmed.

"No date has been confirmed for the bail application."

Mfaku said prosecutors, Pistorius' defence team and the judge had to find a suitable court date where all parties would be available. During that court appearance, the matter of a bail application would be discussed. All this would happen ahead of the court's sentencing proceedings, Mfaku said.

The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) on Thursday ruled in favour of the State, setting aside a 2014 culpable homicide conviction by a high court.The unanimous judgment was clear - Pistorius gambled with the life of the person behind the toilet door by firing four shots with a heavy calibre firearm into a small space.
It referred the matter back to the trial court to deal with sentencing.
The SCA’s ruling comes almost three years after Pistorius shot and killed Reeva Steenkamp, later stating he mistook her for an intruder. He fired four shots into the bathroom door of his Pretoria home on Valentine’s Day in 2013.
He spent a year in prison and was released in October to serve the remainder of his five-year sentence under house arrest.