NPA to challenge Oscar sentence

BY CHARL BOSCH - OCTOBER 27, 2014

A spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Nathi Mncube, has confirmed that it will appeal the sentence handed down to Paralympian Oscar Pistorius.

“The appeal on conviction is based on the question of law. The merits and the demerits of the NPA's argument in this regard will become evident when we file papers for leave to appeal,” Mncube said.

He also confirmed a weekend report by Eyewitness News (EWN) that State Prosecutor Gerrie Nel, and advocate Andrea Johnson, had been consulting with experts and studying North Gauteng High Court Judge Thokozile Masipa’s verdict.

“The prosecutors are now preparing the necessary papers in order to be able to file within the next few days,” he added.

It was also confirmed that Nel had visited University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) Law Professor, James Grant, as to whether he should appeal.

“Advocate Nel has consulted with me and asked my opinion and advice on whether I think there are grounds for an appeal. I have indicated that in my view, there are,” Grant told EWN.

Masipa sentenced Pistorius to five years in jail last Tuesday on charges of culpable homicide for shooting his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, as his then Silver Lakes estate home on Valentine’s Day last year. The athlete claimed that he mistook her for an intruder after hearing a noise coming from the bathroom.

During closing arguments two weeks ago, Nel stated that the state would seek nothing more than a 10-year sentence instead of correctional supervision and community service as proposed by Defence Attorney, Barry Roux. Pistorius is currently being held in the hospital division of the Kgosi Mampuru Central Correctional Centre in Pretoria.

 

IMAGE sourced from www.theaustralian.com.au