NUMSA: Mystery Document part of plot to destroy it
A mystery document, titled ‘Exposed: Secret Regime Change Plot to Distabilize South Africa’, is being circulated and forms part of a plan to destroy the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) and to derail its plans to form a United Front opposed to the African National Congress (ANC), the union claimed at a press briefing in Johannesburg on Wednesday.
“We have no doubt that the circulation of this document and its nefarious accusations is part of a well-orchestrated plan to destroy Numsa and to deter Numsa from its chosen path,” Deputy General Secretary, Karl Cloete, said.
“We also have no doubt that prompting all these dastardly and desperate acts are our December 2013 special national congress resolutions.”
Cloete said the document started making rounds over the past 10 days.
It apparently incriminates him, Numsa General Secretary, Irvin Jim; former Intelligence Minister, Ronnie Kasrils, and former President Thabo Mbeki's, brother Moeletsi Mbeki; Professor Chris Malekane; Professor Peter Jordi as well as various other international “plotters” from countries including Germany, Venezuela and the Philippines in a conspiracy to destabilise the country and effect regime change.
The document says: “The alleged plot is led and facilitated by key leaders within various political organisations, institutes of higher learning, international companies and civic groups, both locally and abroad.
“Central to the success of this initiative are plans to influence mainly the poor, presenting the so-called ‘socialist philosophy’ and socialism as a fix-it-all solution to problems facing South Africa and its people.”
Download the document here.
‘Exposed: Secret Regime Change Plot to Distabilize South Africa’
According to the document strategies included instigating widespread violence, land grabs and instability, as well as the establishment of intelligence structures in collaboration with foreign governments and international companies.
Destabilising the mining sector, the formation of a political party the United Front, and the recruitment of other political parties to support the regime change agenda, were among the other claims made against Numsa in the document.
Now that Numsa's resolutions were finding traction, there was panic, Cloete told reporters.
“Even the president of the ANC Jacob Zuma had to admit at the aborted ANC Youth League conference that not only the youth is in crisis but the parent body was in dire straits,” he said.
This was in reference to a statement the President made at the ANCYL consultative conference in Soweto, Johannesburg, last Wednesday. He told delegates that the ANC had been shaken and was in trouble.
Numsa to deal with its many ‘prongs’
Cloete said on Wednesday the plan to deal with Numsa had many “prongs” which included its expulsion from Cosatu, the delay from the labour department in registering amendments to its constitution, and open support for a rival union in sectors Numsa organised in.
“The dirty tricks document is part of this well-orchestrated plan,” he said.
“This intervention aims to criminalise and demonise Numsa. The strategy is to cast aspersions on what our agenda is and separate the union's leadership from its base.”
He said the accusations in the document were ludicrous and no Numsa member wrote the document.
The author of the document, John Carelse, was not a Numsa member, and neither was John Myburg in whose Dropbox the document was lodged.
Not an isolated event
Cloete told reporters that they had seen a pattern emerging and that the document was not an isolated event claiming that people, who Numsa suspected were from the State Security Agency, had tried to recruit Numsa shop stewards and activists in the Eastern Cape and Ekurhuleni to spy on the union's activities.
He said that the union had evidence in affidavits from the shop stewards.
“As indicated... the incidents directed at Numsa currently are not isolated. It is not the first time that intelligence operatives are interfering in the exercise of human rights in our country,” Cloete said.
“We need a public investigation on the abuse of power by securocrats. The South African Human Rights Commission must do its work.”
Numsa will discuss the matter of the document at its central committee meeting, to be held from December 8 to 12.
A 19-year old male suspect from Port Alfred is expected in court...
Police in Addo over the weekend announced that they...
A 22-year-old Port Elizabeth man, Dillon Willams, was on Friday handed a 10-year prison sentence by the Port Elizabeth Regional Court, which convicted him on charges of attempted murder, possession of firearm and possession of ammunition...
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Retired teachers brought in to mentor underperforming Eastern Cape schools
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Panayiotou trial adjourns for Monday to allow Defence to peruse phone records