On the campaign trail: Trollip lambasts ANC for Metro’s ‘disgraceful’ bucket system
Bucket system toilets remain a disgraceful legacy of a corrupt, uncaring government. This is according to the Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape, following a visit by its leader and Nelson Mandela Bay Mayoral candidate for 2016, Athol Trollip, to G-West location in Port Elizabeth’s Walmer Township.
The visit was part of Trollip’s 60-day campaign to all the 60 Wards of the Metro. Walmer is the 22nd ward that he has visited so far.
“In 2014, at the last count, there were 30 202 bucket toilets in use in the Bay. This is a total travesty and is a disgraceful legacy of a corrupt, uncaring government that has failed to deliver dignified sanitation to the people,” Trollip told RNews.
He said that it was unacceptable that 21 years into democracy so many people in the Bay were still using the bucket system - with more than 3 000 bucket toilets in Walmer Township alone.
According to the most recent Stats SA figures, 35% of all bucket toilets in South Africa are located in the Bay.
Trollip said that despite efforts by the DA to get the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) to intervene and investigate the sanitation crisis in the city, the situation remains unchanged.
“The sad reality is that while the SAHRC delays, the local government in NMB has made no change in eradicating the buckets. In fact, the national Department of Water and Sanitation’s ‘bucket eradication system’ has been a miserable failure, thus far with only 57 toilets built in the Eastern Cape last year,” he claimed.
Trollip promised Walmer residents, that the DA will not rest until the crisis has been solved, saying there is hope for a “bucket-less Nelson Mandela Bay.”
He committed himself to work tirelessly to solve this ongoing crisis by:
- Personally handing over a new and urgent application at the Provincial SAHRC offices in East London for an immediate investigation into the bucket crisis in Nelson Mandela Bay;
- Writing to the national Minister of Water and Sanitation, Nomvula Mokonyane, demanding that the bucket toilet eradication programme be expedited in the Eastern Cape; and
- Writing to the Executive Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay, Danny Jordaan, demanding that allocated sanitation budget be spent and not simply sent back to Treasury as seen in previous years.
Trollip was accompanied by the party’s Shadow MEC for Safety and Security, Bobby Stevenson, and Walmer Councillor, Thobani Noqoli.
One of the residents, who spoke to RNews, Noxabiso Phillip, said: “As the community we asked for Mayor Jordaan to visit and see the conditions that we live under but he did not come, instead we got the response that our area is not in the system therefore nothing is planned for us.”
Another resident, Sandisile Noqule, said that his family of nine people were using one bucket, which sometimes goes for weeks without being collected. He said that when the buckets do get collected, the collectors also expect the residents to pay.
Illegal electricity connections are also a big problem in the area and a big hazard to the residents -especially children.
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- Police warn motorists after gruesome hijacking and gang rape in Uitenhage
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- NMMU increases 2017 fees by 8% as per government recommendation