“Oscar can still compete”- IPC


The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has said that Oscar Pistorius will still be allowed to resume his athletics career despite being found guilty of culpable homicide.

On Thursday, Gauteng High Court Judge Thokozile Masipa, convicted the athlete of killing his model girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, at his home on Valentine’s Day last year.

“Oscar's done a great deal for the Paralympic movement, he's been an inspiration to millions, but obviously his priority now is to see (what) the judge decides,” IPC Director of Media and Communications, Craig Spence, told BBC’s Radio 5.

“Then if he wishes to resume his athletics career then we wouldn't step in his way, we would allow him to compete again in the future.”

Speaking in a statement, IPC chief executive, Xavier Gonzalez, said that Pistorius’ legal troubles, has had no negative effects on their activities, and that they plan on keeping it that way.

“Since London and Sochi 2014 we have seen an incredible growth in all aspects of our activities and we are looking forward positively to Rio and Pyeongchang.

“Oscar was a fundamental ambassador of the Paralympic movement in the period between 2008 and 2012. Since then the Paralympic movement has many other ambassadors and many other athletes that have been recognised globally,” Gonzalez said.

Nicknamed the Blade Runner, double amputee Pistorius, captured the world athletics scene by storm when, in 2011, he became the first Paralympic athlete to compete against able-bodied runners at the World Championships, where he also took home a silver medal in the 4x400 m relay.

A year later, he also took part in the Olympics as well as the Paralympic games in London, scoring two gold medals and a sliver in the latter. He also won six gold models during three previous Paralympic games.


CAPTION: Oscar Pistorius celebrating his first gold medal at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London. IMAGE sourced from www.ibtimes.co.uk