Oscar parole decision delayed - report

OCTOBER 6, 2015

The question of whether convicted former Paralympian Oscar Pistorius will be released from prison any time soon was again delayed on Monday, according to reports.

His lawyer Brian Webber, speaking to news agency AFP, said: "They're going to refer the matter back to the [original] parole board."

Broadcaster eNCA also reported the parole review board had set aside its decision to release Pistorius, with the case sent back to the parole board.

The board met on Monday to decide whether Pistorius should be released from Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria, and serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest.

It was unclear where the meeting on Pistorius's fate took place.

Correctional services department spokesperson Manelisi Wolela remained mum on the matter when contacted by News24 earlier on Monday.

He said the location was not for "public consumption" and said all relevant information would be disclosed in due course.

Pistorius was jailed last year after he was found guilty of culpable homicide for gunning down his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day in 2013.

The former Paralympian said he mistakenly thought she was an intruder. He has spent almost a year behind bars and was initially expected to be released on August 21 to serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest.

But just two days before that, Justice Minister Michael Masutha announced that Pistorius would not be released, saying the parole board had acted prematurely when it decided in June that he could be released in August.

Wolela could not be reached for comment on Monday evening.

---News24wire

Source: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Oscar_Pistorius/Oscar-parole-decision-delayed-report-20151005