Oscar Pistorius lawyers have until next Thursday to file heads of argument


The lawyers representing former Paralympian, Oscar Pistorius, whose release on parole, ten months into his five-year sentence, was suspended at the 11th hour in August, now have until next Thursday to file heads of argument for his upcoming appeals case.

Just before his release in August, the Ministry of Justice announced that the June 5 decision to release the double amputee on correctional supervision on August 21 had been made prematurely. In terms of the Correctional Services Act, such considerations could only be made after Pistorius had served a full sixth of his sentence, which he had not yet done by June 5 according to the department's calculations.

The Parole Board is now expected to review Pistorius' parole on 18 September.

Pistorious was convicted of culpable homicide after he shot his model and law graduate girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on February 14 2013.

Ten months not enough

Ten months behind bars is not enough for Pistorius, June and Barry Steenkamp told an Australian news channel just after his parole had been suspended.

In an interview with Australia's Channel Seven Sunday Night programme, June told the broadcaster: "How can it be for the life of my daughter... 10 months be enough? He killed her, he admits he killed her, she's dead, after making sure that she was dead. Why didn't he let her just walk away? Why?"