Oscar Pistorius' parole review set for 18 September
Oscar Pistorius will now spend about three more weeks behind bars before the Parole Board reviews his release on parole, which was postponed at the eleventh hour a week ago. The Parole Board reportedly informed Pistorius' lawyers on Wednesday that the review of his parole will take place on 18 September.
Pistorious' lawyers had not lodged a legal challenge following the suspension of his early release from prison after serving 10 months of his five year sentence for the culpable homicide of his model and law graduate girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on February 14 2013.
The former Paralympian had been expected to wait up to four months to hear if he would eventually be released on correctional supervision.
Last week Wednesday, the Ministry of Justice announced that the June 5 decision to release the double amputee on correctional supervision on August 21 was made prematurely.
In terms of the Correctional Services Act, such considerations can only be made once Pistorius had served a full sixth of his sentence, which he had not yet done by June 5 according to the department's calculations.
Meanwhile, the Gauteng Directorate of Public Prosecutions has filed an appeal over this to the Supreme Court of Appeal, in a bid to have the conviction changed to murder.
This could be heard in November.
Ten months not enough
Ten months behind bars is not enough for the man who killed their daughter, June and Barry Steenkamp said in an interview over the weekend.
In an interview with Australia's Channel Seven Sunday Night programme, June told the broadcaster: "How can it be for the life of my daughter... 10 months be enough? He killed her, he admits he killed her, she's dead, after making sure that she was dead. Why didn't he let her just walk away? Why?"
- additional reporting News24wire
Follow what happened last week
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- Three nabbed just 25 minutes after allegedly robbing Port Elizabeth shop
- Panayiotou murder trial – Kanna Swanepoel finally appears on the stand