Over 6 000 again expected to gather at Vuyusile Mini Square for anti-Zuma rally

APRIL 7, 2017
Over 6 000 again expected to gather at Vuyusile Mini Square for anti-Zuma rally

There will not be a Save South Africa march on Friday in the Nelson Mandela Bay, but local residents will again gather at the Vuyisile Mini Square - in front of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality's offices at the City Hall, at lunch time to add their voices to calls for President Jacob Zuma to resign over alleged bad leadership that has seen the country downgraded to junk status by one rating agency.

Last week, President Zuma controversially fired former Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan, and his Deputy and former Eastern Cape MEC for Economic Development, Mcebisi Jonas, as well as Tourism Minister, Derek Hanekom, Transport Minister, Dipuo Peters, and Public Service and Administration Minister, Ngoako Ramatlhodi, said he made changes to the National Executive "in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness".

Save South Africa organised a well-attended rally at the same venue on Tuesday afternoon and saw speaker after speaker lambasting Zuma for bad leadership, whose worst point was the recent cabinet reshuffle.

"The event was announced by national convener, Sipho Pityana, at the rally on the 4th, and the more than 6 000 citizens agreed to gather at the City Hall again on Friday, the 7th of April," said Save South Africa Eastern Cape convener and businessman, Mkhuseli Jack, in a post on his Facebook page.

"The organising committee of SSA in the region decided against marching due to short time, logostical and other consideration that are of importance to the citizens.

"It is important that people come out in their big numbers to these rallies. The rally will happen come rain or sunshine. People must attend if they believe that they share the same fears, concerns about the country's direction."

There had been confusion over whether the march would happen at all after a message made rounds on social media asking residents to join a slow motorcade from Pick n' Pay Hyper in William Moffet.

Jack took to Facebook to warn local residents about a 'misinformation' campaign from state agents.

"Please follow proper SSA's [Save South Africa] instructions and guidance. There is a a proliferation of well orchestrated state led misinformation, meant to confuse the Patriots," he said.

On Tuesday, government dismissed calls for a national shutdown over the decision to fire Gordhan and Jonas saying that Friday is going to be regarded as a normal working day.

On Thursday, Jonas quit his post as an ANC Member of Parliament and was also immediately followed by another ANC MP and former Minister of Energy, Tina Joemat-Pettersson.

On Wednesday, Peters had also announced that she had resigned from her seat as an ANC MP.

Watch highlights from the Save South Africa rally in Port Elizabeth