Panayiotou bail attempt enters day three
The bail application of Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, who is accused of orchestrating the faked hijacking and subsequent murder of his teacher wife, Jayde, in April last year, is expected to resume in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Friday after suffering another postponement on Thursday.
This after the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says the state has been unable to argue in the bail hearing, due to the unavailability of documents.
The prosecution also told the ourt that the defence had failed to put certain evidence on record as promised.
The NPA said the hearing was therefore postponed to allow the prosecution time to determine whether or not new facts have been presented before court.
On Tuesday, when the bail hearing began, the disgraced businessman told the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court that he is innocent of the murder and placed the blame on his former barman, who has since turned state witness, Luthando Siyoni.
In a 67-page affidavit, he said sworn affidavits from his mistress, who was also his Manager at one of his businesses, Chanelle Coutts, and her best friend, Clarissa Kapp, did not implicated him contrary to what investigating officer, Kanna Swanepoel, told the court.
Panayiotou denied being in financial difficulties, which the State says was part of the motive. He also disputed Swanepoel's statements that his father had threatened to disinherit him if he did not break off the affair with Coutts.
He said that after Siyoni was assaulted by the police, that is when he implicated him and he does not know why Siyoni planned to murder his wife though he believes Siyoni was into drug dealing.
Panayiotou again offered to pay what was deemed a fair bail amount and offered to wear an ankle bracelet and report to police as many times the court deemed necessary.
Panayiotou is making a third bid at bail in the court. He has been languishing at the St Albans Prison since his arrest in April last year after two previous attempts at bail failed.
Magistrate Abigail Beeton, who is hearing his third bail bid, initially refused him bail in June 2015 saying that, partly due to his dual citizenship, he was a flight risk and that he could also interfere with witnesses.
Unsatisfied, his lawyers appealed the decision at the Grahamstown High Court. That court upheld Magistrate Beeton's initial ruling.
In November, Panayiotou filed another application for bail only to withdraw it as his legal representation had not received the docket.
The hearing was postponed to Thursday and the State is expected to argue that Panayiotou's lawyers had not presented new facts that would warrant bail.
On Monday, the murder case was moved to the Port Elizabeth High Court for trial, which is expected to begin on 3 October.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Retired teachers brought in to mentor underperforming Eastern Cape schools
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Panayiotou trial adjourns for Monday to allow Defence to peruse phone records