Panayiotou trial: State’s key witness declared hostile
Alleged middleman and key State witness, Luthando Siyoni, was on Thursday declared hostile in the Port Elizabeth High Court after he again refused to answer questions from both the State and the Defence – just as he did on Wednesday.
Siyoni was on the stand in the murder trial against Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou.
Panayiotou is accused of orchestrating the kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April last year. Siyoni is alleged to have hired a hitman, alleged to be Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, who has since died, on behalf of Panayiotou.
Siyoni has, however, claimed that in order to get the incriminating statement from him against Panayiotou, Port Elizabeth police assaulted and tortured him until he cooperated with them.
When he agreed – the State dropped charges against him and made him a Section 204 witness.
Still, Panayiotou’s Defence has since last year maintained Siyoni was beaten into a confession that was used to implicate their client.
At the start of day 26 of the trial, on Thursday morning, Siyoni reiterated to State prosecutor, Marius Stander, that he will not be answering any questions in court.
"Mr Stander has already made a decision to discredit me, there is no question that I'm going to answer today," said Siyoni.
Stander then asked Siyoni if he would also not answer any questions from the Defence.
“I refuse to answer anything from anybody in this court,” said Siyoni.
Due to Siyoni’s lack of cooperation in the court and his refusal to answer any and all questions directed to him, he was declared a hostile witness in the court.
His girlfriend, Babalwa Breakfast, in October was also declared hostile and is now being charged for perjury and defeating the ends of justice.
After Stander concluded his questioning, Defence Advocate, Terry Price, proceeded to cross-examine Siyoni.
“Will you answer my questions and help me prove that you are telling the truth?” asked Price.
Siyoni’s attorney asked that the court adjourn for the day so that he may consult with his client with regards to the questioning.
The trial continues.
After the devastation caused by a fire in Theesecombe and Kamma Heights on Tuesday, another fire broke out in the Circular Drive area of Lorraine, Port Elizabeth, on Wednesday morning, unsettling many residents, who had witnessed the Tuesday. At the time of publishing, the cause and overall damage...
Today at Montecasino, in the heart of Fourways...
At the beginning of 2016, DSG launched a bold new initiative...
Many businesses face a multitude of challenges in the...
Sunday sees the last round of the popular aQuellé Ocean...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Wednesday...
The Telkom Knockout final has come at the perfect time to...
Earlier this year, we reported that Ford had expanded...
The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) on Wednesday...
- Port Alfred police appeal for assistance in locating missing woman
- ‘Looks like Armageddon’: Massive veld fire leaves bush and home destroyed in Theesecombe/Kamma Heights
- The best value medical cover for employees with Medimed
- The Top 10 Restaurants in the Eastern Cape in 2016
- 'We are doing all that we can to continue our testing': NMMU