Parole deadline for Clive Derby-Lewis
Clive Derby-Lewis will know on Friday whether he will be allowed to go home on medical parole so as to manage his lung cancer.
Judge Selby Baqwa adjourned one-and-a-half days of dense legal argument over whether the prisoner had Stage 3b or Stage 4 inoperable lung cancer, and whether he had shown remorse for his part in the murder of SA Communist Party leader Chris Hani.
He was denied parole on January 30 this year by Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha and his lawyers applied to the court for a review of the decision.
Derby-Lewis, who escaped the death penalty when capital punishment was abolished, has served over 21 years in prison.
Doctors detected the lung cancer last year, while he was being treated after being stabbed in prison.
Masutha turned down his parole on the grounds that his cancer was Stage 3 and not Stage 4. The prisons laws and regulations state that cancer must be at Stage 4 for medical parole to be considered.
Masutha believed there was no proof of remorse on Derby-Lewis's part.
His lawyer, Roelof du Plessis, insisted in the High Court in Pretoria that two out of three doctors had found signs of Stage 4 inoperable cancer and could not understand why the third on the panel of three specialists, a Dr Mike Sathekge, had not found the same.
In an effort to show that Derby-Lewis had shown remorse, Du Plessis said there had been an invitation to Hani's widow, Limpho, to visit him in hospital for a face-to-face apology. She has not taken up the offer.
Du Plessis said there had been no response to a similar invitation in April.
''The question is, My Lord, why is the minister fighting this so hard?'' said Du Plessis.
Baqwa said he realised the urgency of the matter, and would move ''with haste''.
One of the submissions made was that Baqwa call the medical experts for oral evidence, but a diagnosis last December that he had six months to live made the matter even more sensitive.
''In those circumstances I have considered that the best we can do is to hand down a decision in this matter on Friday this week,'' said Baqwa.
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- Three nabbed just 25 minutes after allegedly robbing Port Elizabeth shop
- Panayiotou murder trial – Kanna Swanepoel finally appears on the stand