Pistorius spoke to ex before shooting Reeva
An investigation by Eyewitness News has revealed that Paralympian, Oscar Pistorius, spoke to an ex-girlfriend hours before shooting Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day last year.
The report states that Pistorius had a nine-minute long conversation with Jenna Edkins, whom he dated on-and off from 2008, at 18h00 on February 13th shortly after arriving home. The conversation was never presented as evidence after police had failed to make a connection between Edkins and the number, which, although registered to her father, had been saved under the name “Babyshoes” on the athlete’s phone.
She was also never questioned by police and was not asked to provide a statement. Edkins also declined to answer any questions, only saying that she remained on good terms with Pistorius, whom she had grown up with since their mothers had been friends.
In a statement released on Wednesday evening, Pistorius’ family and legal team said that they were taken aback by the report, as well as the removal of the athlete phone call history and social media messages.
"We are not sure of the allegations which are to be made or the source of such allegations, but we are not aware of any deletions having been affected by Oscar or effected on his instructions that could be relevant to this trial or could have impacted on this trial," read the statement.
"As far as we are aware all relevant communications were put before the court...The relevance of the communications from Oscar's phones, iPad and laptop was properly dealt with by the court and ultimately played no role in the matter, this having been found by the court".
North Gauteng High Court Judge Thokozile Masipa, found Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide on September 12th, after ruling that the state had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he had intentionally shot Steenkamp at his Silver Lakes estate home. Final sentencing is expected to take place on the 13th of this month.
IMAGE source from nbc.com
The BBC has announced that its smash-hit motoring show, Top Gear, would not be televised in its usual Sunday evening time slot after the suspension of star presenter Jeremy Clarkson.
Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Thomas Hadebe, has said that party will launch an investigation with the Green Scorpions into the flowing of raw sewage water into the Swartkops River, which has amounted to “192 mega litres” since a pipe burst 15 weeks ago.
An application by various media houses to have Parliament show uninterrupted proceedings of events taking place in the Chamber, has been rejected by the Western Cape High Court.
Parliament has released a document showing the six questions that will be answered by President Jacob Zuma during his questions and answers session in the National Assembly on Wednesday.
Power utility, Eskom, has announced a medium to high probability of it implementing load-shedding for Monday...
Agang SA Deputy President, Andries Tlouamma, is reportedly facing a motion of confidence from his own party, after withdrawing a similar claim against President Jacob Zuma last week.
Following a passion, a Jack of all trades but master of one Karl Schlaphoff followed his dream, used all his skill and started to build an artisan brewery. Behind the scenes his wife Jane has done all the admin. This dynamic husband and wife have given it their all and a year later we can now all experience and enjoy artisan beer brewed locally for locals.
The Acting Chairperson of the SABC Board, Professor Mbulaheni Obert Maghuve, has rejected the Democratic Alliance’s (DA) call for the broadcaster’s former Chairperson, Ellen Tshabalala, to pay back the R1.3-million in salaries she received during her 22 month tenure.
The Thongathi Mall Structural Collapse Commission of Inquiry yesterday (March 5) wrapped its evidence gathering following the cross-examination of Jay Singh, Chief Executive of Gralio Precast the contractor behind the doomed Thongathi Mall, and the Commission will round of its work on March 27 with a presentation of heads of argument by all parties.
Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader, Julius Malema, has branded the State Security Agency’s (SSA) decision to investigate a blog alleging that the CIA had been monitoring him as well as other political figures and Public Protector Thuli Madonsela, as a “waste of government resources”.
- Hijackers flee after crashing vehicle during early Monday morning police chase
- NSRI again pleads with the public not to set off distress flares for fun
- Man arrested in Port Elizabeth while driving car belonging to missing woman
- Suspects on the run after brazen daylight robbery in Grahamstown
- Bathurst police need public's assistance in tracing vehicle and suspect