Plans underway to bring remains of Gugu Zulu home


The Nelson Mandela Foundation has said it has been working closely with authorities in Tanzania and the Department of the Home Affairs to bring the remains of race and rally driver Gugu Zulu back to South Africa.

Nicknamed the “fastest in brother in Africa”, the 38-year old former works Volkswagen rally driver, television presenter and winner of the now defunct Vodacom Isando Sports 2000 development sportscar series in 2000, died on Monday while scaling Mount Kilimanjaro with his wife Letshego and experienced mountaineer Sibusiso Vilane as part of the Trek4Mandela initiative.

He had been complaining of breathing problems shortly before his death although the exact reason is yet to be determined.

In a statement, foundation CEO Sello Hatang said it had been receiving extreme levels of support and co-operation from missions, diplomats and carrier South African Airways (SAA) to bring Zulu’s body back to the country. He also stated that the remaining trekkers have successfully made it down the mountain and are expected to arrive back in South Africa on Wednesday evening.

“We are currently awaiting documentation from Tanzanian authorities and South Africa’s Home Affairs before travel arrangements can be made. We are hoping to resolve these issues today before flight details can be confirmed,” Hatang said.

Tributes have meanwhile continued to pour in on social media with the Democratic Alliance (DA), African National Congress (ANC) and Presidency expressing shock and sadness at Zulu’s death.