Police hunt for Helenvale shooter

MAY 16, 2015

Port Elizabeth police have confirmed the deaths of two people following a shooting in Helenvale yesterday.

According to Die Burger, police spokesperson, Warrant Officer Alwin Labans, said that the suspect opened fire on a taxi owner just after 14h30, with the motive still being unknown. Labans confirmed that the owner, later identified as 48-year old Graham Slabbert, died on the scene having suffered multiple shots.

The second victim, 20-year old Sherwin Cohen, was found in the living room of his house having reportedly rushed home after being shot in the chest. He had been chatting to friends near the scene of the shooting when struck by one of the bullets.

Labans told the paper that the shooting was not related in any way to the spate of gang violence in the area, and that the shooter continues to remain at large.