Police still working to solve Senzo Meyiwa case
Police have assured the nation that they are working hard on the case of the slain Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates captain, Senzo Meyiwa, and will not rest until those who killed him are brought to justice.
Meyiwa was shot and killed eight months ago at Kelly Khumalo's childhood home in Vosloorus.
Police are yet to make an arrest in connection with the shooting.
SAPS spokesperson Lieutenant-General Solomon Makgale appealed to the media to give investigators the space to conduct a thorough investigation.
“Some investigations are not simple and straightforward. They take twists and turns which require meticulous follow-up by the police. This is one such investigation,” Makgale said on Tuesday.
Makgale said the police management are extremely concerned about reports insinuating that the case is not being treated as a priority and that the police have reached a dead-end in their investigations.
“This is not the case at all …we have assembled a high-level and well-resourced team.”
The team is being led by Divisional Commissioner for Detective Services Lieutenant General Vinesh Moonoo, Gauteng Deputy Provincial Commissioner for Detectives Major General Vincent Leshabane with Brigadier Johan Ndlovu and Colonel Moabi Modise coordinating at an operational level.
The team, according to police, have a detailed investigation plan which was compiled and is being meticulously implemented.
In addition to this, they have deployed seven people, led by a captain, on a full-time basis to the case.
The team is comprised of members from the Detectives, the Hawks, Crime Intelligence and a forensic psychologist which are supported by a track-and-tracing team of 40 members who are called in when needed.
The ballistics part of the investigation is being done by Major Chris Mangena.
The Forensic Services Division has also allocated a dedicated team which will process all material of evidential value so that there are no delays.
“We also brought in members of the special task team investigating Radovan Krecjir to assist. Any firearm which is recovered during a police operation, as well as through an investigation, is tested to check if it was used in the murder of Senzo,” said Makgale.
According to Makgale so far, they have collected close to 110 documents, inclusive of the statements of 86 possible witnesses.
“We are also following up on leads provided by other witnesses who were outside the house at the time of the incident. We followed each and every lead painstakingly. Almost 30 people have already been questioned.”
The team has been to various parts of Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Western Cape, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal, following up on close to a 100 leads received through Crime Stop, police stations, government and soccer officials.
Police have also appealed for patience from the Meyiwa family, saying the pressure they were being put under was jeopardising investigations.
“The investigators have appealed to Senzo's father on several occasions not to release details of the investigation to the public. This is not helping at all, because we are now faced with a situation where one of the possible suspects has gone underground after hearing through Senzo's father that the police were looking for him.”
This comes as Senzo’s father had approached the investigators indicating that he was upset with the police because the insurance company wouldn't pay out until the investigation has been completed.
It is also reported that the Meyiwas are so frustrated that they have approached the South African Football Players Union for help.
Makgale however said they have informed them that the payout can still take place although the investigation is not complete.
The only time the payout could be delayed was if police believed that there was foul play involving life insurance money.
“This is not the case in this murder investigation. Senzo's father therefore appears to have been misled.”
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- Police warn motorists after gruesome hijacking and gang rape in Uitenhage
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- NMMU increases 2017 fees by 8% as per government recommendation