Port Elizabeth harbour on “High Alert” for Ebola virus
The Port Elizabeth Harbour is on “high alert” for the Ebola Virus, according to a report by the Nelson Mandela Bay Emergency Services Coordinating Committee (NMBESCC) to be presented to the Safety and Security Committee tomorrow.
National Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi told the National Assembly recently that Livingstone Hospital had been fully equipped and prepared to deal with any cases of Ebola.
An inspection carried out at the hospital confirmed that the response team was fully prepared.
Eastern Cape Health MEC Pumza Dyantyi said after a visit to the hospital, which has received 80 sets of protective clothing, that it was ready in all respects to deal with any situation connected with the Ebola Virus.
Senior Management Disaster Officer in Nelson Mandela Bay Thomas Cameron told the NMBESCC he had attended a meeting with the National Health Laboratory Services at which an emergency services presentation had been done with an update on clinical information.
It was proposed at the NMBESCC meeting that a team should be formed to discuss the available information “so that the Metro is not held responsible if infected patients are brought into the area”.
Cameron told the committee that all services, including private ambulance services, “should be aware of how serious the situation is with regard to the Ebola Virus, because some vessel might be carrying the infection”.
He highlighted the fact that “this was real and all emergency services must be alerted”. - MetroMinutes.
Photo caption: Port Elizabeth harbour is on high alert for the Ebola virus. Photo courtesy of www.photography.southerngold.co.za
South Africa has deployed its first batch of trained healthcare professionals to work in Sierra Leone, in an effort to help contain the spread of Ebola Disease Virus in the country and other parts of West Africa.
China has sent an additional 232 army medical workers into West Africa, in order to help the fight against the Ebola epidemic.
International soccer stars have joined with FIFA, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and health experts from Africa, to raise awareness as well as to show communities preventative measures, in the fight against the Ebola virus.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially announced Equatorial Guinea as the host of the 2015 Orange African Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament, after Morocco requested that the competition be postponed due to fears of the Ebola virus entering their country. The tournament is expected to kick-off on the 17th of January before concluding on the 8th of February.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has said that they will not delay the dates of the 2015 Orange African Cup of Nations (AFCON), after a meeting with the Sports Council of Morocco and the Ministry of Youth in Rabat on Monday, amidst fears of the Ebola virus spreading.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) officially launched the Garden of Remembrance at the Donken Reserve Lawns in Port Elizabeth on the 31st of October, to pay tribute to ward councillors, PR representatives and mayoral committee members who have since passed away. First mentioned by Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor, Benson Fihla, on the 14th of August this year, and attended by the family members and relatives of those honoured, the garden consists of a tree and an engraved plaque representing the 58 NMBM members who had died since 1998....
The municipality is paying R7 000 a month rental for space on the ground floor of Kwantu Towers while an assessment and investigation into the maintenance work required at the Main Library is underway.
Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism MEC Sakhumzi Somyo says the progress that has been made with the NMMU partnership to date on shale gas research is “commendable”.
A total of R3.4 billion is required to upgrade and refurbish the existing waste water treatment works (WWTW) in Nelson Mandela Bay and construct two new ones.
South Africa and Ghana have been asked by the African Cup of Nations organisers if they would host the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) after Morocco reportedly said they would not hold the tournament due to Ebola fears.
- Two men in custody for house robberies in East London - more arrests expected
- Busted! Lusikisiki cop appears in court for demanding R1 500 bribe from driver at accident
- Current accumulated 2016 fees debt for NMMU stands at R142.6-million
- Visiting elderly American couple rescued after hijacking in Uitenhage
- Do I really need a Will?