Port Elizabeth police seek assistance in arresting fugitive rape suspects
The Family Violence Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit in Port Elizabeth on Friday appealed to local residents to assist them in tracing two allege rape accused, who are wanted in separate cases after they failed to appear in court.
It is alleged that on the 5th of October 2015, about 11:20, a 6 year-old Bethelsdorp child was allegedly raped while playing with her friends.
According to Port Elizabeth police, the accused, Masiwakhe Nongubo, alias Mabhuti, aged 25, called the child to accompany him to the shops.
“He took the child to a house not far from where she was staying and allegedly raped her - no one was at home at the time,” said police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu.
She added that he was arrested on 8 October 2015 and was subsequently released on bail after a court appearance.
A warrant of arrest has since been issued for Nongubo’s arrest.
His last known whereabouts were in Lombard’s Grounds in Missionvale as well as Peddie.
In another incident, on 12 May 2009, an 84 year-old woman was allegedly raped at her house in Blose settlement in Rocklands, Port Elizabeth, at about 22:00.
According to the police, the elderly woman was sitting in her lounge when the suspect entered through an unlocked door.
“She was forced on the couch and raped,” said Colonel Naidu.
Stoffel Meyer, alias Piletjie, aged 24, was arrested on 12 July 2009 and failed to appear in court after been released on bail.
A warrant has also been issued for his arrest.
Police appeal to the public to come forward if anyone has information regarding the two suspects.
“Anyone who may know the whereabouts of these two persons is asked to urgently contact D/Sgt Joshua Shilajoe at FCS unit in Port Elizabeth on 041 401 3032 or 071 475 2310,” said Colonel Naidu.
Image: Left – Masiwakhe Nongubo (wanted for the rape of 6 year old child - Bethelsdorp); right - Stoffel Meyer (wanted for the rape of the elderly woman – Kabega Park).
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Panayiotou trial adjourns for Monday to allow Defence to peruse phone records