PRASA loco not to blame for Northern Cape derailment
The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) has attributed maintenance to rail infrastructure and a lack of communication as the reasons for yesterday evening’s derailment involving one of its Shosholoza Meyl long distance passenger trains.
A reported 101 passengers were on-board when the 16 coach train, headed by one of the rail provider’s controversial Afro 4000 diesel locomotive, partially derailed near the small town of Modderrivier in the Northern Cape, some 500 meters before crossing a bridge over the Rietriver which had been under construction. The train had been on-route from Johannesburg to Cape Town.
Speaking in a statement, PRASA Spokesperson Mthura Swartz said no information was provided about the ongoing construction work as required, leaving to the driver proceeding as normal.
He however ruled out the possibility of the accident having had anything to do with the locomotive, which was discovered last months as having exceeded imposed height limits on sections with overhead wires.
“Transnet gave us permission to use the locomotives and it had nothing to do with the accident. The height of the locomotive also played no part in the accident,” the Diamond Fields Advertiser quoted him as saying.
It has since been alleged that the train was travelling at 90 km/h instead of the imposed 30 km/h on sections under maintenance, although confirmation of this is still needed.
A reported twelve passengers, including the driver and his assistant, were taken to hospital in Kimberly 35 km away, while 63 were admitted for observation having suffered from shock. The line as meanwhile been closed.
READ MORE: AXED PRASA CEO THROWS BRICK AT JOURNALIST
READ MORE: "MOLEFE NEVER BLACKMAILED MTIMKULU" - PRASA
READ MORE: PRASA WANTS MTIMKULU TO PAY BACK THE MONEY
READ MORE: MADONSELA DELAYS PRASA REPORT
READ MORE: MONTANA MUM ON DISMISSAl DETAILS
READ MORE: PRASA CEO LUCKY MONTANA FIRED
READ MORE: REPORT: RED LIGHTS OVER PRASA LOCO PRICING
READ MORE: CLEARANCE CONCERNS WILL BE ADDRESSED - PRASA
READ MORE: MTIMKULU NEEDS TO BE SUSPENDED - DA
READ MORE: "WE ARE SATISFIED WITH MTIMKULU" - PRASA
The relaxed former frontier town of Grahamstown is not...
Fun times were had at The Boardwalk on Thursday all in the name of charity. Finalists for the Mr Port Elizabeth UberMANn campaign rolled people around the lake of The Boardwalk to raise funds in aid of the Association for the Physically Disabled (APD) of Nelson Mandela Bay...
As one of South Africa’s most prominent news...
KIA Motors has signed a memorandum of...
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) is the...
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- Video: Mr PE UberMANn finalists wheel around The Boardwalk in aid of APD
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Transport Deputy Minister expected in PE for long weekend road safety campaign